Covering And Entire Cake In Candy Clay???

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 12:20am by BakeLoveMom

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 9

Recently I saw somewhere on this site, that someone uses the colored candy melts and makes candy clay, then covers the whole cake with this. Does anyone have anyexperience with this???? Any tips or tricks? Thanks so much.

I have struggled with red for a long time, in either bc or fondant. I got a last minute Spiderman order calling for the top tier of cake to be his face covered in red. I was going to try making red fondant. I make MMF and MFF and like them both, but red is tricky. I did by powdered red coloring from CK but have yet to try that. What do you think?

Thanks again,
Sarah

8 replies
BakeLoveMom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 9

sorry, bump.

BakeLoveMom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 9

anyone??? Guess it must not be that popular. Okay.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 9

I've never used modeling chocolate to cover a cake but I have EATEN one with it. It tasted really good (it was white chocolate which is my favorite) but didn't look neat. You could see fingerprints and marks from her hands-not smooth at all. HTH

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 9

I HAVE covered a cake in red candy clay for the same reasons you state. At the time, I didn't have time to order red fondant so I made the candy clay. It covered well and did taste good. I made it look like a barrel with coal mining bits on top. Sorry, I don't have a picture of it to show you because that was PRE CC!

Hope this helps!

Beth

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 9

somewhere i have a website address for a cake artist who only uses it to cover her cakes AND make her flowers. hmmm, where did i put that sucker? it won't tell you how to do it, but it will give you and idea of what you can do with it. give me an hour or so to find it and i will get back to you. in the meantime, bump!
diane

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 9

I covered a tree stump cake in modeling chocolate, and it looked good. BUT, it didn't have to be smooth because it was rough tree bark on the sides, and grooves for the rings on top. I don't think I could have gotten it to look nice and smooth.
It's very heavy, so that has to be considered, too.

tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 9

I have not ever covered a cake in candy clay - sounds yummy! I have made a lot of red icing before. A trick I learned on CC is to first make the icing yellow, then add orange, then add the red. When you go up the color wheel it does not take so much red to get a true red. Also make it a day or so ahead of time because it does get darker. Good luck with your cake!

BakeLoveMom Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:20am
post #9 of 9

Oh, great...thanks so much...yeah, I need it smooth, I will just stick to it for flowers, and accents and that. I'm so thankful for your input, thanks so much,

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%