Fresh Flower Tiers Between Cake Tiers?

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 11:58am by crazycaker

tootie0809 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 4

I've never done a tier of fresh flowers between cake layers. Can someone tell me how this is done and how it is stacked/constructed. I'm lost as to what supplies I will need and how to put the cake together. Thanks!

3 replies
crazycaker Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 4

Ive generally used the two plate method (see Wilton if you want examples). Put the cake on the top plate and set aside. Make an arragement on the bottom place using a small plastic dish and some soaked floral foam (oasis). Arrange the flowers, and check to see they stick out the proper length. This can be done the day before so you have times. When setting up, just stack the bottom plates with the flowers, and top with the top plates and cake.

You can either arrange the flowers so the pillars show (usually I use 3") or do the flowers more densely so that you can't see the pillars.

Hope this helps!

tootie0809 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:44am
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much for the help on this!! I think I understand how it works. I am going to be using SPS. Would the same instructions still apply for that system with the flowers in between tiers?

crazycaker Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:58am
post #4 of 4

You're welcome!

I think would work with most any system (haven't used SPS personally). Just make sure to give the flowers a source of water with the foam, and they will last for a week after (always a nice bonus for the client).

I'm sure it will look great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%