Anyone Compiting In The Tulsa Sugar Art Show?

Decorating By melodyscakes Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm by Yomomma

melodyscakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:13am
post #1 of 20

I'm thinking about it, but not the big wedding cake comp. the talent that competes in that blows my mind.
I'm thinking about entering in the other catagories. not sure I want to drive 5 hours and take the weekend off unless I have something that could win.
I am wanting to make a wedding cake, but in the other catagory.

have any of you competed in this show before?

tell us your experience!

melody

19 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 20

Competing at the Tulsa show is a great experience. It's also a tough one. The competition is stiff. Since you have never been to the show it is smart to not enter the wedding cake competition. What is shown on TV is a very, very small part of that competition.

The wedding cake category in the divisional is usually pretty full so you will be up against a lot of cakes. Confections usually has fewer entries. So if you are good at cookies or well decorated cupcakes, you might want to consider entering this category.

Read ALL of the rules carefully. They are changed slightly every year. The divisions are very specific, so be sure to read that as well. If you are not sure of your correct division let me know and I can look at your work and let you know. I have competed in Tulsa for 13 years. You can also contact Kerry Vincent or Loydene Barrett. Both of them will gladly help you choose the right division.

Last year I wrote up a competition hints post. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-603734-0.html Maybe this will give you some ideas how a cake show works.

If you do plan to go, make your reservations early. There is a hotel that the Kerry uses with special rates. This is one option, but there are many other hotels that are not too far from the show. Use a map program to find the fairgrounds and then use that to find a hotel that is convenient and in your personal price preference. Traffic coming from the south is a bear. If you can find something north of the show it will be a little less stressful.

Set up for this show starts on Friday, I can't remember what time. The public traffic for the fair on Friday is unreal. I find it better to wait until Saturday morning to arrive. Parking is a lot easier to find on Saturday morning as well. The best time to see all of the amazing work is before noon on Sunday. The crowds haven't arrived yet and you can get photos of your favorite pieces a lot easier. This is usually when the magazines shoot their photos.

This turned out to be a lot longer post than intended. I hope you decide to attend and have a good time.

Michele

pinkflower1212 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 20

Live in Tulsa and have to say this is the highlight of the State Fair for me, and it's the 1st weekend of the fair. Not sure if I am willing to take part in the compitiion this year - building up courage - but might enter another catagory other than the big wedding one you see on tv. Yes there are lots of hotels that are around the fairgrounds area and off I-44. Yes the TRAFFIC is a nightmare by Tulsa standards - people from everywhere come to the Fair! But it's so worth it. If you do enter - good luck and know that tons of people will see your work. What great marketing - & lots of picture taking too!

melodyscakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 20

I don't have many pictures in my gallery....not real good with uploading pictures. the ones on cc are of my very early work.
check out my web site at www.sweetcreationsbymelody.com

I would have to compete in the professional group...I own a bakery.
I am intrested in pushing myself into a really awesome 3-D cake. I would love the challenge, and the experience.

then what about the wedding cake competition, not the big one, isn't there another one that has catagories that say two tier, novelty, ect?

thank you for your insights!

I will read your link to your advice to competing...thank you!

melody

Sugarflowers Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #5 of 20

The novelty tiered usually does have fewer entries than the tiered wedding. The professional division is one of the largest. Sculpted novelty has fewer entries most of the time, but each year is different. I think there is a gallery on the OSSAS web site. Check that out to get a better idea of what has been entered. I can't remember if they post all of the entries or just the winning ones.

I'll check out your site. I always like to see what I'll be up against in the future. icon_smile.gif.

Michele

melodyscakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:23am
post #6 of 20

I'm not all that great, I learn as I go....kinda self taught...(learned most from cake central!)

so the division that says tiered cake (a) wedding cake or (b)non wedding must be at least two tiers.....does that mean I can have like 6 tiers?
I want to do a wedding cake, but not good enough to compete in the big wedding cake arena.

I am thinking of doing one kinda like the white one that looks like a dress on my web site. I love doing brush embrodery and sugar paste roses.

but am clueless about the land and sea theme for the wedding cake competition.

thank you for your help!!!

melody

Sugarflowers Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

I'm not all that great, I learn as I go....kinda self taught...(learned most from cake central!)

so the division that says tiered cake (a) wedding cake or (b)non wedding must be at least two tiers.....does that mean I can have like 6 tiers?
melody

You can do as many tiers as you want. The minimum is 2 tiers. Unless you have a different technique on every tier and it all flows well, making more than 2 tiers will only make more work for you. It won't necessarily help you with points. A 3 tiered cake does look nicer and more noticeable.

Best of luck to you.

Michele

pinkflower1212 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #8 of 20

Since I am a beginner I would choose Catagory #3, and I have a have a minimum of 2 tiers and it has to keep with the Theme "Of Land and Sea" yes?

So do you actually make a cake or is it a dummy cake?

Sugarflowers Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:10am
post #9 of 20

There are two different competitions - the divisional and the wedding cake competition. The divisional is where you can enter cakes and other types of sugar art in multiple categories. This is for kids up to Master's division. If you enter a wedding cake in this part of the show, you will need to have a least two tiers.

The wedding cake competition with the theme "Of Sea and Shore" you must be at least at the semi-professional level. This entry must have a minimum of three tiers. In this part of the show the table must be fully decorated.

There is a set of rules for each competition. Every detail should be carefully read to prevent disqualification or just a misunderstading of the rules of the cake show.

HTH

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #10 of 20

You can use dummies or real cake. Most use dummies. However, if you have a carved, sculpted, etc., you MUST use real cake.

Michele

indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:33am
post #11 of 20

I was actually going to enter "something" at Tulsa this year. It's only about a 12 hour drive for me, the hotel rates were great, it all looked good (except for my nerves!).

Then daughter reminded me that I'd agreed to babysit her two while they went on a cruise for their anniversary! icon_cry.gif And because I'm the greatest gramma, I gave up my trip!

And oh yes I AM going to use it against her everytime I need a favor and she tries to weasel out of it! I may be the greatest gramma, but I'm not the dumbest! icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

For anyone contemplating, I believe I read that this is Bride's Magazine's 75th anniversary and they are going to do a special issue with pics of cakes from Tulsa. Heck, that would be even better than a ribbon!

lorijom Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #12 of 20

I'm entering this year but haven't yet decided what I'm doing. Probably a divisional wedding cake. I want to get my feet wet before entering THE wedding competition. Looking forward to seeing all of the great works of art...always anxious to see what Michele enters icon_smile.gif

cakecrazy09 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:41am
post #13 of 20

My brother lives in Tulsa so we have already made arrangements to go. I have only been decorating cakes for a few months. So I don't think I would be good enough or brave enough to enter anything. If they have a catagory for beginners I might give it a try. It would be a good learning experience. Where do you get the information about the catagories?

pinkflower1212 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecrazy09

My brother lives in Tulsa so we have already made arrangements to go. I have only been decorating cakes for a few months. So I don't think I would be good enough or brave enough to enter anything. If they have a catagory for beginners I might give it a try. It would be a good learning experience. Where do you get the information about the catagories?

Yes they have an Adult Beginners Division - thats what I am entering. Here's the link that tells about it.

http://www.oklahomasugarartists.com/Event_Details.htm

On the left of the page says OSSAS Entry Form. It's a PDF and is 2 pages. On page 2 tells about the divisions and then what the catagories are that are NOT the BIG WEDDING Competition.

Good Luck - Hope to meet you there!

pinkflower1212 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 20

Can't wait to meet everyone at OSSAS this year! birthday.gif I'm so excited! We should have a button or something that we wear so we can spot each other.

cakecrazy09 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:47am
post #16 of 20

I'm very excited now! The button idea is a good one. When it gets closer to the date we will have to discuss it again.

CrystalEyez Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #17 of 20

So I'm wondering if it would be worth it to attend, or even compete. What are the prizes like?

And would I be Adult Beginner or Advanced? I've taken 4 Wilton Classes.

Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:20pm
post #18 of 20

I just asked my boyfriend if he can take me for a vacation over there during the competition. Of course I am not joining since I have no plans driving that far and plus I'm sooo new to this. I just hope we can save enough for the whole thing.

cambo Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:57pm
post #19 of 20

I attended the show for the first time last year and LOVED every minute of it! The favorite part for me was getting to meet other decorators from the forums I'm on AND getting to see James Roselle and Marina Sousa in action! It was a blast! I booked my hotel for 2009 immediately after returning from last year's show! he he! I plan to enter several different confections, not just cake...and I'm considering entering a wedding cake! I know I stand no chance of placement or anything in the wedding division, but, how fun is that going to be just entering!!!! We will have to start another thread later before the show so that we can all hook-up and meet or maybe go to dinner one night! We did that last year and it was so much fun!

Cammie

Yomomma Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #20 of 20

I'm thinking about attending this year (1st time). I am somewhat confused navigating around Oksugartist website in finding the all catagories/divisions - do you have to send for detailed info? Is there a cookie division? And I thought I remember watching FoodNetwork where there was a cake tasting competition - is that still an option?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%