Using Luster/pearl Dust On Gumpaste ?

Decorating By tmcakes Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 6:06am by tmcakes

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:40am
post #1 of 4

What is the best way to apply luster /pearl dust on gumpaste? I know that the white pearl dust should be very translucent but I was wondering if my other colors will end up the same way?

If so what should I do?

I have not tried the other colors yet ( they have not arrived) but just wanted to be prepared tomorrow when I was ready to apply the colors. Don't want any suprises, the stores will be closed by the time I get started! I'm making seashells and wanted them to have a nice natural look.

3 replies
Sunshyne_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshyne_gal Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:01am
post #2 of 4

I've always mixed it with vodka or some type of clear extract then used a small paint brush to brush it on. Of course, the thinner the mixture the more translucent your results will be. Just start out with about a tablespoon of vodka then a dash of luster/pearl dust. Add more dust until you get the desired effect.

I hope that answers your question.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:53am
post #3 of 4

it depends on the look you are going for (if you want the realistic look, you would probably be better with petal dust, which has a matt finish). dusting it on dry with a paint brush wont give such a strong result, it will be more subtle. painting it on with something like vodka (the cheap stuff will do) gives a stronger effect.
pearl dusts are quite gentle anyway, it gives a pearlised finish in what ever colour you have. so your gumpaste wont really become any darker with it, just more shimmery.
you will just need to experiment and see what look you like. good luck icon_smile.gif
oh, and when you are dusting, keep it away from other equipment, cause it can be a challenge to get the dust of boards, cutters etc.
xx

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:06am
post #4 of 4

Well what do you know!!! It worked like a charm....can't wait to finish up and see how they all look together. Now I will have to add Vodaka to my tool box! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%