Why Does Fondant Crack

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 3:16am by HowCoolGomo1

madgeowens Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 6

What would cause fondant to crack over night? I kept it in a cool oven(electric)....the collar on the black leather jacket cake I made was cracked and had to be remade the next morning, it was purchased from Sugar art..............it was fine to work with...is it because the collar was to thick o heavy?

5 replies
diane Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 6

sounds like it had more powdered sugar in it than necessary. icon_confused.gif

madgeowens Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:38am
post #3 of 6

It was purchased so wouldn't the ingredients be right? I got it at Global Sugart Art....

brincess_b Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:03am
post #4 of 6

what did you roll it out on? powdered sugar? cause that can dry it out, even if not instantly. or even if you were working it too much, and it was in the air for too long.
did your oven have any residual warmth, cause that would have done it too.
xx

madgeowens Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 6

Actually I didnt use anything because of it being black.....I used a sheet of plastic to roll it out on......the oven was not warm at all....I didn't cover the cake at all maybe thats it...

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #6 of 6

Don't know if I'm right or not.

I've been living with the drought in Texas. I've been dealing with cracking, elephant skin, you name it. I started rolling with a thin film of shortening on my surface and my pin. I also roll like it's pie dough, only in one direction and then do a 1/4 turn.

Hth and good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%