Cracks--Cake Not Plumbers!!

Baking By lhayes1976 Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm by EyeCandy

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 10

I like a dome on my cupcake, but they always crack. Can you have a dome with no crack? I am baking at 350 not 400, so I don't think my oven is too hot.

9 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:11am
post #2 of 10

I bake mine at 325, they dont rise as much, but I still get a decent dome without it being like a volcano...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:14am
post #3 of 10

Run your small offset spatula between the cupcake liner and the pan before you bake it, and see if that helps. It helped get rid of the cracks in my cheesecakes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:18am
post #4 of 10

have no idea but your thread title got me all cracked up!!! too funny!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 10

I have this problem ALL the time when i bake chocolate cake mixes. It frustrates the living heck out of me because the cracks can be quite deep. I posted on cc to see if anyone knew why. Someone suggested i add a bit more water to my batter to thin it. This never occurs when i bake white/vanilla mixes but then again those mixes end up much thinner. So i added extra water and it helped a bit with the cracks. Next time i will use even more water and see what happens. I mainly bake cakes for family and haven't made another since. Hope this tip helps, you might want to give it a try and see if it makes a difference for you. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck.
suzanne

sweetcravings Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:26am
post #6 of 10

I have this problem ALL the time when i bake chocolate cake mixes. It frustrates the living heck out of me because the cracks can be quite deep. I posted on cc to see if anyone knew why. Someone suggested i add a bit more water to my batter to thin it. This never occurs when i bake white/vanilla mixes but then again those mixes end up much thinner. So i added extra water and it helped a bit with the cracks. Next time i will use even more water and see what happens. I mainly bake cakes for family and haven't made another since. Hope this tip helps, you might want to give it a try and see if it makes a difference for you. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck.
suzanne

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:52am
post #7 of 10

sweetcravings--I agree, I made chocolate today and they had major cracks. The batte was very thick--I'll try the water trick next time.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 10

I use kakeladi's original WASC recipe for both white and chocolate cupcakes. The only thing I do different is add 1 teaspoon of baking powder and for the chocolate an additional 1/4 cup of water. I do think the chocolate batter is too thick if you don't add more water. I preheat my oven to 400 and when I am ready to bake the cupcakes, I turn the oven down to 350. This was a hint on another thread.

I make regular sized cupcakes, using a #20 disher to fill. Here is a pic of the result, I very seldom have cracked cupcakes icon_smile.gif HTH
LL

sweetcravings Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 10

Hmmm interesting linedancer..now that i think of it, I don't think i have the cracking issues when i make cupcakes, just regular cakes. I've never tried the WASC recipe, but was considering it after the big thread on gourmet flavors. Thanks.

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 10

I too have that problem with chocolate cupcakes only, so strange. It must definitely be an ingredient involved that's not helping it all adhere. If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them too. icon_biggrin.gif

Love the Subject of this topic, haha! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%