Icing A Cake??

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 12:04am by sugarshack

Mikel79 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 4

Hi All!

Can I please get your input on how you ice your cakes?? I have purchased Sharon Zambito's Butter cream DVD and have used her tips for icing a cake. The DVD is GREAT!! She is amazing!!! But, 8 cakes later, I cannot create a HALFWAY decent looking iced cake via her tips.

The problem I am running into is how she shows to meaure the cake and find the lowest point of the top icing. For whatever reason my eyes cannot focus and find the correct measurement. When I make my template, it is always taller than the cake, and therfore I cannot mark my line to show where I need to take the excess icing off. Those of you who have the DVD know what I am reffering to...

I made a cake last night, and this morning the sides of the cake SLIPPED off the top!!!???? I think I put to much icing on the top edge. I was afraid of my template being to tall to mark my line. OMG!!! I was heartbroken. That has NEVER happended to me.

Sorry for the long rant. But, can you please share your teqniques with me on how you ice cakes????

Thank you all for all your help with my past posts!!!!

3 replies
bakingatthebeach Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 4

If you go on youtube to tonednas video on how to ice a cake smooth, it helped me. I find if you watch alot of techniques, you can take bits and pieces of all of them and do whats best for you.

bashini Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:24am
post #3 of 4

Hi, here is the link to the video from Edan that bakingatthebeach mentioned,

And I totaly agrre with her. You need to watch few different ways to do it and find the technique that works for you best!

HTH. icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:04am
post #4 of 4

You have to measure each cake indivually after you ice the top. find the lowest spot on the top of the iced cake. THEN make your template that height. It is going to be different for each cake you ice. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%