Brush Embroidery

Decorating By mamabrat13 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 12:25pm by applemint_jackie

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone! I have been looking at some of the great cakes in the galleries and have seen several that are brush embroidery. Can someone please explain how to do this? I am still a fairly new caker. I tried to find something about this elsewhere in the forums but couldn't find anything. TIA for your help!!!

8 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:21am
post #2 of 9

I love brush embroidery!! It's on my To Do List for someday! icon_smile.gif I believe it's usually done on fondant cakes. RI is piped on the cake and a clean wet paintbrush is used to drag some of the RI into the center.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I love brush embroidery!! It's on my To Do List for someday! icon_smile.gif I believe it's usually done on fondant cakes. RI is piped on the cake and a clean wet paintbrush is used to drag some of the RI into the center.

Yep thats how I do it. I've done it with buttercream icing too. Not sure which is better. I use my scrap fondant to practice on icon_biggrin.gif

mamabrat13 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:39am
post #4 of 9

Thank you both for your responses! I wasn't sure what was used-now I want to give it a try. Thanks Alice for the tip of using fondant scraps to practice on!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:41am
post #5 of 9

I'm sure Wilton.com probably has a technique article

applemint_jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
applemint_jackie Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:03am
post #6 of 9
Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 9

I find that the trick is to not get too much water on your paintbrush, and to brush each line BEFORE piping the next one. The RI sets up so fast that if you wait, you'll crack it or pull it. It's really very easy and it looks so pretty!

mamabrat13 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:38am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by applemint_jackie

Here's a video showing brush embroidery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6r8MYHYz00&feature=channel_page

thanks Jackie! This video was great! I ended up watching a bunch of others on Youtube too! Was up until way past my bedtime last night!! But well worth it!

Thanks for everyone's help! I am SO looking forward to trying this technique! I think I will use it on my Mom's Mother's Day cake

applemint_jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
applemint_jackie Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 9

You are most welcome. Looking forward to see your cake. Do remember to post.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%