Wilton Classes

Decorating By ajjhmf Updated 13 May 2009 , 3:38am by sandykay

ajjhmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajjhmf Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 22

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for a while and trying to learn from you guys and your great cakes. I was wondering what everyone can tell me about the Wilton Classes. The local Joann Etc. has classes every month so I was thinking of taking there but I don't want to waste my money if they aren't really going to help.

Thanks!
Jenny

21 replies
SliceTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceTheCake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 22

I think its a good starting point icon_smile.gif It will teach the basics of cake decorating. A lot you can learn yourself, but having someone teach you is incredibly helpful IMO.

Munchkinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Munchkinette Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 22

I agree with Slicethecake that a wilton class is probably the best place to start if you don't have much experince with cake decorating. That being said, I just signed up for my Wilton Course 1 classes at my local Michaels store. My first class is May 5th and I'm excited!

Becky

khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:38am
post #4 of 22

I took 3 of them. They're a good value for the money. A friend of mine is thinking of getting started decorating and I recommended she do at least the 1st Wilton. The 2nd Wilton was too many flowers for me at one time! I still can't pipe a mum to save my life. The 3rd one was a good intro to fondant. Learning how to do a fondant rose with a 5 petal cutter was a real plus for me.

The only thing about Wilton is that they can only teach the Wilton method for doing something. So you might read something on here and ask about it and they really can't talk about it too much if its not a Wilton method. Not a hugh issue and they'll usually discuss things with you after class if they have time.

Enjoy your classes!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:00am
post #5 of 22

I think for the majority it depends on how you learn the best. If you are okay with learning through books, dvds and through on-line information then that's great but if you prefer to have someone right beside you not only showing you how to do something but there to watch and help you as you do it as well then the classes are for you.

Yes, the only teach the Wilton method but that is not a bad thing. The Wilton courses are a great place to start especially if you have never decorated before.

The classes themselves are pretty cheap but all the supplies can add up. If you do decide to do the classes make sure you take some of those 40% off coupons to buy your higher priced items. Start buying before the class starts if possible so you can use the more of the 40% off coupons.

Personally I loved taking the courses and would recommend them but of course a lot of it has to do with the instructor themselves as well (same as teacher's/instructors for any subject).

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:14am
post #6 of 22

I just finished all the courses except for gumpaste flowers (in it currently now). I've always been self-taught from watching others and using the wilton yearbooks until now, just doing cakes on & off for about 15 yrs (mostly off lol)

I can honestly tell you I 100% agree with everybody here. It's so worth it if you like having someone physically there guiding you along the way. And yes, the instructor does make a difference in how much you enjoy the classes. I lucked out and got 2 good ones. I have learned a lot and have re-trained myself on some bad habits I picked up over the years

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:19am
post #7 of 22

Sorry to ruin the love fest, but honestly, my experience was not great. I think the Wilton classes could be great IF you get a great instructor. I think it 100% depends on who your teacher is. I was soooooooo excited going into my Wilton class, but left at the end of the 4 weeks without really learning much. The teacher was...less than stellar...and that's being nice. I'm hoping to sign up and take them at a different location with (fingers crossed) a more experienced, better teacher...

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:53am
post #8 of 22

I had a great teacher,she taught all of my classes.I'm wait to take the Wilton candy class from her.The last class I took from her was last summer and everytime I have a question,I would email her.She was very nice & she would go over things until you get it.I learned alot from the Wilton classes.I guess having a good teacher makes alot of different.

bec714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec714 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:58am
post #9 of 22

I have to say that I love my job. I love to teach, and I love to "play cakes" when I'm not teaching. I think that the experience can vary and is largely dependent on the instructor. Having a committed, fun, excited instructor is the key.

The 4 courses are a great jumping off point, and the fact that you can take the first one then any of the others lets you get to your goal a little more quickly. Alot of my students have taken all 4 (some repeat the courses, too), then keep learning on the web or from books. I get emails from students long since graduated with photos of things they've made that go so far beyond anything I taught them!

Good luck with your classes, and I hope that you have a wonderful experience! If any of you are in the SF Bay area, pop into the Mountain View Michaels and see me!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:01am
post #10 of 22

I forgot to say - one of my WMI's gives her student her cell #, encourages them to contact her anytime they need help. turns out she and I are practically neighbors and are now friends. So all around a very positive experience for me

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #11 of 22

I took all of the Wilton classes and loved them--had a great instructor! They gave me the courage/confidence to do stacked cakes, something I never would have even considered beforehand. My WMI gave me her cell phone, home phone and email address. I pop into Joanne's every so often just to say hello to her--okay, I admit I am going in to look at the cake dec aisle! She stayed late to answer questions--Roberta was just all around wonderful! I wish there were more classes to take since I really enjoyed the classes and learned a lot.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:36pm
post #12 of 22

I took all 3 classes. I never thought of decorating cakes. I was looking for something for my daug. and I do to 14yrs old to keep us bonded. I had a good instructor, and she also gave her number out for any questions we may have.

Now, Im hooked!!! The classes are a good starting point, as Im a visual person. But once the bait was set (basics) I found this site and most of all the other things Ive learned have been in here or you tube. Im a sponge. I now have a whole room that looks like a cake shop store front, with supplies.

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #13 of 22

I think it's a great starting point for anyone. Look at it this way...if you use your Joann coupons to buy the big stuff and sign up when they offer a discount on classes then it won't cost much and you have your cake decorating basics down. I've taken one class and do lots of research through books and on the internet now. Now that I have an understanding of the basics it's a little bit easier for me to learn through these other avenues. Just have fun!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #14 of 22

ajjhmf.......welcome to CC! The posters ahead of me have already recommended that you take the classes, but I'll go ahead and recommend that, too! icon_smile.gif You'll be amazed at how much you'll really learn....then move forward on your own with that foundation.
Have fun with it!!!!!

ajjhmf Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #15 of 22

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice! I think I'll head over and sign up for the first class tonight. icon_biggrin.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #16 of 22

I agree they are a great starting point. When I first started getting into cake decorating about a year ago, I took the first 2 courses. I had a great instructor (she actually used to be Nicholas Lodge's assistant years ago), so I do think that makes a difference. It's a great way to get your feet wet and give you a good foundation on your skills.

bec714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec714 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 22

One more piece of advice for anyone considering Wilton classes: as Michaels' instructors we have scheduled demonstrations every few months or so (I assume Joanns is the same?) That would be a great opportunity to meet your potential instructor and ask questions before you commit to a class. Our next demo is 5/2 right before classes start in May!

I hope you enjoy your class ajjhmf!!!

ajjhmf Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #18 of 22

Thank you all for encouraging me to take the classes. I just finished my first cake and have already learned a ton.

My first cake didn't turn out too bad. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1366675

brgrassmyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brgrassmyer Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:41pm
post #19 of 22

Hi, I am a Wilton Method Instructor at Michael's. For my students and prospective students, I set up a blog. I use this blog to keep my students connected. I post lots of tips,pics, class supply lists, store coupons, and everything cake on my site.
Check it out:
http://wiltonmethod.blogspot.com/

Keshe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keshe Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:23am
post #20 of 22

I took the class 1 and it was not a good experience. In 4 weeks, we only completed one cake (instead of the 3 that we should have) and I didn't learn anything. I ended up getting a refund after sending a complaint, however I was very disappointed. I'd been looking forward to the classes for years.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:29am
post #21 of 22

I started with Wilton..I would encourage you to take the classes.. Go look at my cakes and you will see..Just a basic start is a good jumpstart to start learning without lots of frustrations.

Edna icon_smile.gif

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #22 of 22

I think it's a good starting point. As a WMI I give my cell to my students as well as my email. I started a web page and with their permission I post the cakes they make in class. I hope if I ever have a student that didn't enjoy the class that they would tell me, can't fix something if you don't know it's broken.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%