CarrieBear Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of

I am goin to be making a Hawaiin themed wedding cake for a friend.
I want to do some flowers that might be fitting, I have done gum paste flowers and have the wilton gumpaste kit, but I really dont know a lot about flowers, what are some tropical / Hawaiian flowers that arent too complicated that I might be able to incorporate into the cake, any ideas???

icon_confused.gif

14 replies
beachcakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of

How about plumeria? I think that's the flower used in leis?

kaat Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm
post #3 of

I made hibiscus using the wilton kit. They were my first flowers and it worked out ok. I used the orchid cutter (3 petals) cut out 2 of these, trimmed away one of the petals (now I had 5 petals in total) ruffled the edges and used the viening impression piece (not sure exactly what its called) to give some texture to the petals. I glued the two pieces together - evening out the spacing of the petals and let it dry over a hoop of paper towel (to give it shape)
Before it dried I poked a hole in the centre for the stamen to sit. I painted the after.
They weren't too bad.
HTH good luck
LL

tootie0809 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #4 of

I agree with the above posters. Hibiscus and Plumeria are classice Hawaiin flowers. They both bring Hawaii to mind immediately when I see them, especially the Hibiscus. Good luck! I wish someone would order a Hawaiin cake from me. I'd love to do one!

chefbarbie0513 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of

Here is a picture of a plumeria
LL

artscallion Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:31pm
post #6 of

Does anyone have plumeria instructions. These look like what I've seen referred to as frangipani. Are they the same thing?

ThreeDGirlie Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:41pm
post #7 of

Yes, frangipani and plumeria are the same flower. thumbs_up.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:53pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Does anyone have plumeria instructions. These look like what I've seen referred to as frangipani. Are they the same thing?

here you go:

http://www.fira.com.au/Frangipani.htm

artscallion Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of

Thank you SO much for that! I've been hunting high and low and all I've been able to find are directions for the buttercream version.

CarrieBear Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

I made hibiscus using the wilton kit. They were my first flowers and it worked out ok. I used the orchid cutter (3 petals) cut out 2 of these, trimmed away one of the petals (now I had 5 petals in total) ruffled the edges and used the viening impression piece (not sure exactly what its called) to give some texture to the petals. I glued the two pieces together - evening out the spacing of the petals and let it dry over a hoop of paper towel (to give it shape)
Before it dried I poked a hole in the centre for the stamen to sit. I painted the after.
They weren't too bad.
HTH good luck

bummer your pic isnt loading icon_sad.gif not sure if its just my computer maybe I will try later,thanks for the help!

CarrieBear Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I agree with the above posters. Hibiscus and Plumeria are classice Hawaiin flowers. They both bring Hawaii to mind immediately when I see them, especially the Hibiscus. Good luck! I wish someone would order a Hawaiin cake from me. I'd love to do one!

Yeah it should be fun and a learning experience, I will have to post pics when its all done next month! Its her wedding present for a friend, so a free cake... cant be too picky, she is just letting me do whatever I want.. thats always fun too icon_smile.gif

CarrieBear Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

here you go:

http://www.fira.com.au/Frangipani.htm

thank you! I had been trying to figure those out, and those are great instructions for those, all I could find on those was a really bad you tube video.... Thank You!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Jennifer1970 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:43am

Why not use real orchids? I made a wedding cake for a couple who eloped to Hawaii, and then had a reception for friends and family in Massachusetts.

lordbuffington Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm

kaat - THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU! I need to make some hibiscus this evening or tomorrow morning and yours are gorgeous and I (for once) understand the directions just from reading it. (I'm a very visual learner!) Now I just have to make sure I have that orchid cutter...

Andrea

CarrieBear Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer1970

Why not use real orchids? I made a wedding cake for a couple who eloped to Hawaii, and then had a reception for friends and family in Massachusetts.

yeah. that would be the easy route to go, but I need to practice my gumpaste skills and this is a wedding present and also good practice for me, I need the experience. This is my first wedding cake ever, I am being alittle ambitious, but I want it all to be things that I made by hand. Im sure after this whole thing is said and done I will never want to do all this again icon_lol.gif but its for one of my best friends so I dont mind...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%