More Fondant Questions-Drying?

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm by tonedna

MrsMabe Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 6

If I'm going to make 3-D figures out of fondant, how long do they need to dry? I need to make a spool (like a spool of thread) for a cake in early to mid-May and I don't want to start it too late and have it droop. I plan to use MMF if that makes a difference.

5 replies
bashini Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 6

You might have to add a bit of CMC/ Tylose powder to the fondant, to make it dry fast and hard. I would make them at least a week before. So it has lot of drying time. icon_biggrin.gif

rockysmommy Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 6
Tee-Y Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 6

I would suggest you use modelling paste which is a mixture of sugarpaste and flower paste,that way if you make it even weeks ahead and place in a lighted cupboard it would stay dry and not be droopy when you need to use it.Hope that helps.

MrsMabe Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the advice. Our stores on base don't carry many specialty items, so I'm stuck with straight MMF for now. I think I'll have my parents send me some glucose and tylose so I can try gumpaste next time.

tonedna Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMabe

Thanks for the advice. Our stores on base don't carry many specialty items, so I'm stuck with straight MMF for now. I think I'll have my parents send me some glucose and tylose so I can try gumpaste next time.

To make gumpaste all you need at least is the tylose...But definitevely is best to go with gumpaste for figurines so they mantain their shape.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%