Idea For A Deli Themed Cake?

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm by MrsMabe

MrsMabe Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 4

So I'm moving next month. I've been at my job (grocery store deli/bakery) for nearly two years and I'm going to miss everybody a great deal. I want to make a farewell cake to bring on my last day, but I'm having a little bit of trouble. I thought about making it look like a deli wrap, but I'm not sure I could achieve that look. I'm not very skilled with fondant and have never carved before.

Any suggestions on a good deli-themed cake that a fairly unskilled decorator could do?

3 replies
Doug Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 4

got soup cans?

bake the cake in them

say two cans of cake per warp.

put the resulting logs of cake end to end.

warp w/ fondant (big ol' circle of it colored an off white w/ little fleck of darker brown (chopped chocolate worked in?)

then just add fondant details -- shredded lettuce, cheese, maybe a tomato slice -- to each end.

---

alternate "guts" == a jelly roll cake..... tho' I'd stuff w/ nutella instead of jelly!

pipercakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 4

If you didn't want to do a shaped or carved cake, you could always do a sheet cake and make it look like a deli counter? You can mold little meats/cheeses out of fondant (easy!) and get creative with candies that look like food and put them in the 'deli case'.

SpongeBob Krabby Patty gummies --> hamburgers
Green M&M with dab of red icing --> olives

There are lots of candies at RiteAide/CVS/Eckerd etc. that look like foods.

Good luck! Can't wait to see the final product. : )

MrsMabe Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for the advice!
I think I'm going to use the soup can idea, and also make some little cupcakes. On the cupcakes I'll put little fondant toppings so it looks like little bowls of toppings. I'm excited to do this cake icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%