Help!! Mff Black.. I Got The Color, But It Keeps Cracking!!!

Decorating By mrsbriggs06 Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm by mrsbriggs06

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 9

& my sis in law has to leave to deliver it in an hour!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

*it's for her class cookout & won't be eaten till later in the week, but she has to deliver it 2 hours away so she needs to take it today..*

we made chocolate MFF.. and managed to get it black.
let it rest & the color darkened nicely..

now i'm trying to roll it out & it keeps cracking/tearing & i know there's no way this will cover a square cake...

help!!

8 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 9

KNead in some corn syrup, glycerine, or piping gel. Any of those will help make it more pliable and prevent cracks.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 9

would a bit crisco not help as well?
and dont roll it out on powdered sugar!
xx

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

would a bit crisco not help as well?

xx

No, more crisco at this point will make it crumble. It needs agents that increase stretch-- glycerine or maybe corn syrup.

If the ratios are really badly out of wack, you may need to make another "loose" batch and knead the 2 together.

Good luck.
Rae

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 9

ok, thanks for explaining that icon_smile.gif
xx

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 9

oh wow! eaten later this week...I would be worried about the outside of the fondant. she should make sure the cake is covered well.

and I agree with MacsMom's advice icon_smile.gif

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbriggs06

& my sis in law has to leave to deliver it in an hour!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

*it's for her class cookout & won't be eaten till later in the week, but she has to deliver it 2 hours away so she needs to take it today..*

we made chocolate MFF.. and managed to get it black.
let it rest & the color darkened nicely..

now i'm trying to roll it out & it keeps cracking/tearing & i know there's no way this will cover a square cake...

help!!

I know this is no laughing matter..but when i say MFF ..i was thinking expletive Fondant. Sorry..my mind goes to bad places when I think of making black fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 9

Where's JanH she always has the right answer. lol Jan to the rescue...please.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 9

ok ladies.. *& yes, mff did become an expletive today ;o) *

i was adding glycerin.. like, i used 3tbsp for the recipe-- and then finished off all but a few drops of the 2oz bottle trying to fix it. i think the problem was with the corn syrup... when you realize at 2:30 am that you have 92% of your 'one cup' necessary.. and you live 30minutes from the closest walmart... you tend to say, it'll be FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE... well. it won't be. ;o) an hour last night/this a.m. would have saved a lot of headache. lesson learned!

it was just bad.
we finally decided to scrap the idea of covering it in fondant & just cut diamonds out of the black (like we had done for the other colors). the design was an apple on top of an argyle cake which was inspired by a scrapbook that sis in law made for her professor.

this is what we ended up with.. i'm not thrilled, and i don't like the grocerystore cupcake borders, but as it was, we were up cooking & prepping icing & fondant until 3am (we did the cake in my avi on the inside & that takes forever).. then got back up this morning to start decorating.

the apple is carved out of 1/2 a ball pan & the bottom of the HUGE dimensions cupcake pan. the square is my new magic line 9x9x3 that took forever to bake icon_surprised.gif)

[/img]
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%