How Thick Is Your Fondant?

Decorating By Santa_Kitchen Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm by panchanewjersey

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 3

This last week, Style network have the second part of Martha Stewart Wedding Cakes. Beautiful cakes, amazing(thats the word). I was a little bit dissapointed because one of the cakes was a maroqui theme and when they cut the cake at the ceremony ...OMG!!!!...the fondant was almost, if not, half inch. It was so thick that the pieces real cake were minimal. My fondant is 2/16 (super thin), i always put it very carefully (i make my fondant from scratch with the clear intension that everyone can eat it), make them in different flavors(wherever the client decide).
And yes in the beggining when i start working with thin fondant, i had a lot of issues, ripping, cracking, but now i do not add a thing that could possible dry it and make it crack, i just put a little amount of shortening in my hands and start playing with it.
Here in GA, people only ask for buttercream and my cakes are all fondant. Anyone with bad experiences with customers and fondant?? How you introduce fondant to your clients? How to suggest fondant? Do they resist?
LL

2 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 3

i bet layers of really thick fondant is why lots of people dont like it. i like fonant, but a thick layer is a bit much. i usuly roll mine pretty thin. but to be fair, that cause i dont usually have enough, lol!
in the uk, pretty much everyone epects fondant whether they eat it or not!
xx

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 3

I love the look of fondant but I can't seem to eat it. However your right here in Cali some people really do prefer bc or whipped cream in spanish population. You just can't do very much when it comes to whipped. But when I do use fondant I also roll mine out to 2-3/16 depending but I don't like mine thick, althought they say it hides imperfections when it's a bit thicker. I also make mine from mm, still wanting to try Satin Ice or something else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%