Storage Help .. Sorry, I'm New To This!

Decorating By kms0321 Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm by bakingatthebeach

kms0321 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 5

I don't know a lot about fondant so I apologize in advance for any questions that I ask that seem stupid..

Every time I make a cake, I end up having to throw over half of it out. I live in B.C with my boyfriend and both of our families all live in Alberta or Ontario so most of the time when I make a cake, it's for the two of us. Is there a way to store fondant cakes so they last more than a couple of days? I read somewhere that you can't freeze them because the defrosting process ruins the fondant. Is this true? I hate wasting food/cake so any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

4 replies
leah_s Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #2 of 5

Your cake should be fine for at least 5 days, even on the counter. If you're making a cake that's just too big, well, cut it in half and give some to a neighbor.

aliciag829 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:18am
post #3 of 5

I have the same problem as you and also got sick of throwing my cakes away. I don't freeze fondant because I also heard it doesn't freeze well. I do refrigerate my fondant-covered cakes and they have lasted almost a week in my fridge.

What I eventually started doing was taking the leftover cake into work or having my bf take it into work with him. People really appreciate it and it also gets the word out about you making cakes.

kms0321 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 5

leah - we live in a relatively secluded area so we actually don't have many neighbours, but I suppose there's someone I can share the cake with. I don't know why I never thought of that before, haha. Thank you!

alicia - I've never considered putting the cake in the fridge. Thank you! We should be able to eat a lot more in a week. We've usually had to throw it out after 3 days.

Thank you both!

bakingatthebeach Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Your cake should be fine for at least 5 days, even on the counter. If you're making a cake that's just too big, well, cut it in half and give some to a neighbor.

Ditto on that one. I also take them into work. Work people are the best guinea pigs! Nurses eat anything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%