Ugh! I Just Don't Understand This!!!

Decorating By k33bl3r Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 4:26am by shelbur10

k33bl3r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k33bl3r Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 20

I live pretty far away from a Michael's or Benjamin Franklin Crafts, so, I do most, if not all, of my cake decorating shopping at Wally World. But what I don't understand is, how can they have a 3 pan set of cake pans, the largest measuring 16x16 and then the largest cake board they have is 14x10?!? How the hell am I supposed to fit a 16x16 cake on a 10x14 board?!

Does this piss anyone else off as well, or am I alone in this?

Luckily, I just found a nice site online that has 18x18 boards for pretty cheap, so I think I'm going to go that route.

19 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:33am
post #2 of 20

You are so not alone. I've given up on Walmart for anything but the most basic of supplies and order everything online. Look on the bright side, at least you can buy the big box of Wilton fondant any time you like! icon_rolleyes.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:39am
post #3 of 20

Actually seems pretty typical to me, I run across those "stumbling blocks" all the time. Whatever I'm trying to do, baking or otherwise, there's always some part or piece that I need that nobody has or that I can't find.

I think these situations are why somebody said "necessity is the mother of invention" and we certainly do have to be inventive at times. I no longer believe in "one stop shopping". LOL

Ordering online is always a good alternative. For a large board like that, I might try to find a large enough regular box to cut up for a board, it can be covered with various things to make it usable for cake.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #4 of 20

If it helps any...um...they do sell foam core boards in stationary near the poster boards...if you get the plain white ones, they're rather inexpensive...

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:47am
post #5 of 20

foam board may work too and is super cheap, I just bought 2 big @ss ones for $1.99 ea. from Hobby Lobby but Walmart prob has em too, doubling up for more support, about a half inch thick together and is pretty darn sturdy icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #6 of 20

I think some of the dollar stores carry the thinner (3/16") foamcore boards as well. If you need thick ones then you can just glue a couple together.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #7 of 20

I ran into Michael's just yesterday to grab some square cardboards, and they don't carry square; just circlular and rectangular. icon_mad.gif I was in a hurry, so I just grabbed rectangular and cut them when I got home.
I have about 3 or 4 Michael's within 20 mins of me, this one literally right behind my neighborhood, and it STILL doesn't help! We just can't win. icon_sad.gif

all4cake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:03am
post #8 of 20

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing the larger square cake boards at Michael's or Hobby Lobby either

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #9 of 20

i just collect nice big flat boxes whenever i can and cut to fit as i need. i'd Prefer to have them already made but alas thats usualy not the case as i too live too far from even a walmart let alone a michaels thats even further.

i love tv and appliance boxes they are nice and sturdy! keep this in mind! heh

all4cake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #10 of 20

I gotta ask...does it not look like there are square cake bases in this picture?
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E31A373-475A-BAC0-5894BDEBFE84A837&killnav=1

So far, I can't find squares for sale on the site....(flashbacks of the oval pan set but yet they've discontinued the most popular size oval plate...a four pan set with only 3 plates for it available....one would think, if they were going to stop making any of the plates for it, it would be the BIGGEST one because it usually rests on a base, right???? aaaaaaaaargh...yeah, I still get fumey abou that issue).

k33bl3r Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:12am
post #11 of 20

I have a TON of boxes just hanging around, but I don't feel good about carrying a three tiered cake in on some flimsy cardboard. I do like the idea of the foam board. I shall have to give that a whirl!

Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling the cake board sting!

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #12 of 20

I know how you feel. Kind of like when I went to the cake store to get a half sheet board and box and the board was half an inch bigger than the box so I had to cut it to fit. Usually I buy cardboard scraps from a packaging store and cut to size but I didn't feel like doing that this time so I ended up paying three times as much to do it anyway. Stupid cake store.

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:22am
post #13 of 20

The last big cake I made I tried the foam core board and it was awesome! It didn't bend at all, even after it sat for a little while-unlike the crappy cardboard. It really works well-you really should try it! icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

Stupid cake store.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Sounds like something I would say.

k33bl3r - the foamcore's are great for stacked cakes but I would recommend the 1/2" thickness or gluing the thinner pieces together. Just put a decorative ribbon around the edges to pretty it up!
Also, masonite board's are great for supporting heavier cakes and their re-usable too.

GenGen Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:31am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by k33bl3r

I have a TON of boxes just hanging around, but I don't feel good about carrying a three tiered cake in on some flimsy cardboard. I do like the idea of the foam board. I shall have to give that a whirl!

Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling the cake board sting!

with standard cardboard boxes i double sometimes triple the layers. if you make sure the "grains" are criss crossed they make excellent supports. on the bigger cakes i still do this and have a wooden board i use to carry and transport the cake with.

with appliance boxes like tv's computers etc i can get buy with doubling them but i still use the wooden cake board for transporting the bigger cakes.

sorry. i should have been more clear earlier.

k33bl3r Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #16 of 20

Man, I wish I could get this kind of response in my other threads! lol. They just tend to die after one or two posts and disappear into the CC universe. lmao.

Thanks guys!! icon_smile.gif

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:43am
post #17 of 20

I have several thick ceramic tiles that my SIL put "feet" on for me to use in a pinch. I just cover them in foil or plastic wrap and decorate over that. Works beautifully when you need a square board and is obviously really sturdy. The only drawback is that it adds more weight than I'd like.

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:46am
post #18 of 20

Can I ask where you order your stuff online??? I'm getting tired of going to the supply store only to find out they are out of the supplies I need....
Thanks in advance!

GenGen Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #19 of 20

i've got several microwave turn table glass plates that work good for smaller rounds etc.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyCakes2

Can I ask where you order your stuff online??? I'm getting tired of going to the supply store only to find out they are out of the supplies I need....
Thanks in advance!

I order from Country Kitchen SweetArt and have always been happy with them.
https://www.countrykitchensa.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%