How Much Butter Cream Do I Need?

Decorating By k33bl3r Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm by Jenthecakelady

k33bl3r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k33bl3r Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 8

Okay, I'll admit, I'm scared to death about ruining my friends wedding cake. It's a simple cake, but because I'm a newbie, and this is my first wedding cake, I have a million and one things to figure out. And I'm in need of some advice.

It's a 3 tiered cake. Simple Yellow cake, chocolate ganache torting, and butter cream icing. But I'm not sure how much icing I need for this cake. I make my butter cream myself, and found that for a full sheet cake, I needed one full batch and 2/3rds a batch on top of that.

How much would you guys make for a cake that will feed 100 people? Is there a standard? I also plan on crumb coating before doing a second, smoother coat, so I think I'll need more for that.

I'm just so scared. heh. PLEASE help!

7 replies
auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #2 of 8

What size cakes are you using, and how much decoration will there be?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #3 of 8

There's a handy chart in the Cake Bible by Rose Levy Bernbaum. it's a book that should be in your cake library, or at least check it out of your local library and copy the chart.

Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 8

Depending on the sizes you plan on using I would say at least two batches.

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 8

I use the Wilton chart as a starting point. It depends on how much decoration you will be doing in BC. Here's a link: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

k33bl3r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k33bl3r Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the chart. I realized that I'll need a HELL of a lot more BC than I thought I would. lol.

Now comes the BIG question.... would it be cheaper to make it myself (also more time consuming), or should I just buy the Wilton ready made? Decisions, decisions. lol.

Yeah, I think I'll make it. Since the groom is very hard to please (would only eat Ukrop's cake before he tried mine at their tasting), and he tried it with my BC, I think I'll stick with what works. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:42am
post #7 of 8

nooooooooooooooo....don't buy that!!!!!!!!!

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 8

Definitely do not buy! Something about the Wilton BC just isn't right to me (although their chocolate BC is really good).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%