My First Wedding Cake

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 2:23am by xstitcher

pipe-dreams Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 5

My very first wedding cake, and first tiered cake...white cake with strawberry filling. Covered in fondant with royal icing design. Real roses on top. You can see where it looked like it was going to bulge. I was so nervous, but it never did bulge. Any tips on why that happened, and what I can do different next time? Thanks!

4 replies
summernoelle Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #2 of 5

First, wonderful job on your first cake! You should be proud of yourself.

When using a filling, you need to "dam" it with icing. This means piping thick icing around the inside circle, and then putting that filling inside that circle. I also find that refrigerating my cakes after they are icing helps a ton-but not everyone does that.

pipe-dreams Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #3 of 5

I put a dam on it, but I wasn't sure if it was high enough. I couldn't find any articles showing the right way to do it! I didn't put it in the fridge, though. I'll try that next time. Thanks so much for the comment and advise!

diane Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 5

very pretty...simple, yet elegant! wonderful job!~ thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 5

Congrats on your first cake, you did a great job!

As for your question about piping and the bulging:

You want a super thick dam that you can pipe on with the end of a coupler. Then fill with filling to the top of the dam (make sure you do not go higher than it). Once you have filled the cake you have to let the whole cake settle (preferably over night). This way if you do have a bulge after the cake settles you can take care of if before you ice it or cover with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%