I Need Eiffel Tower Pattern/template/tutorial, Please Help

Decorating By superstar Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 12:41am by LeanneW

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have a pattern/template/tutorial, anything to help me make an Eiffel Tower. I don't want to make it out of RI & would really like to have a template to work from. I would appreciate any help you can give me. TIA icon_smile.gif

14 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #2 of 15

There was a template in one of the American Cake Decorating magazines in 2005 or 2006. I don't think I still have them. I think they used Royal though.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 15

If you just want to cut it out of fondant or GP and don't have a cookie cutter, why not print off a line drawing and cut it out, and then trace onto the fondant? I use an xacto knife for this.

If you do have time before you need it, www.CountryKitchenSA.com has an eiffel tower cookie cutter.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 15

ok, I did this cake with 24 hours notice and then they asked to have the cake delivered 1.5 hours earlier than original time. I really needed that last hour and a half to add the detail that would have taken this from cool to totally fabulous but the customer liked it.

http://westseattleblog.com/blog/?p=15642

I'm not sure if you want to do a 3d Eiffel tower cake or a gp Eiffel tower, but here is how I did this cake.

I started with an 8 inch square cake, a 6" cake, and two 4" cakes. I filled and stacked them without the crumb coat. I used dowels like you normally would to stack the tiers. Then I center doweled the whole thing.

I have the ateco 14" knife, which is my most favorite tool in the world and worth every penny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KEUKPG/?tag=cakecentral-20 .

I carved at an angle starting at the top of the 6" cakes to the bottom of the 8 " cake. I left the 4 inch squares un-tapered.

Then I covered the whole thing in white BC. I cut rectangles for the bottom and used a 2.5" round cutter to cut out the bottom arches, applied to cake side and trimmed the fondant on the cake to get the angles right.

Then I cut 1 inch wide strips of fondant and placed vertically on cake, while it was still very soft it was easy to bend to get the exact curve.

I used 1 inch strips for the horizontal pieces, the very top piece is fondant too. I painted the whole thing with vodka and silver dust.

if I had the extra 1.5 hours I would have piped in black RI all the detail metal work on top of the silver fondant.

you can pm me with questions if you have any. This cake was so much easier than I would have thought.

superstar Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks everyone for your help. I wish I had time to buy that Eiffel Tower mold from Country Kitchen, it would be perfect. Leanne, your cake was great. Sugarnspice1981 I think I will try your idea. For some reason I did not receive notification that I had replies???? Fortunately I decided to check up on my post to see if anyone had replied & there you all were. Thanks again.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 15

Hey Superstar, that happens to me sometimes as well. When you start the post, at the bottom, make sure that you have a checkmark next to "send replies to my email" or something like that.

But even then, sometimes I have to go and check the threads I started.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 15

It's a shame about the time issue...

http://www.cakesunlimited.net/html/EiffelTowerCake.html

and

http://www.cakesunlimited.net/html/Eiffel_tower_kit.html

I've bought things from this company (although not an Eiffel Tower kit) and they were brilliant to deal with.

Suzanne x

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 15

I did mine with RI and it wasn't that bad to do. One complete batch of the Wilton recipe will do it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1213482

And although I did it over a couple of weeks, it really only needs a few days.

cakesunlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesunlimited Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 15

Hi
Don't know when you need the cake for but I sell an Eiffel Tower Kit - Thanks to Relznik for giving me a mention.
You can see the cake in my gallery
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1173063.html
and the kit is available on my website.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 15

The Eiffel Tower that was in American Cake was made out of rroyal icing. Although some of it can be done with gumpaste (the squares that hold up each of the towers and the tip).
I would suggest if your not making out of RI then to use a straight edge and cut thin strips of gumpaste to make the A part of the tower and then you can use either smaller pieces of gumpaste for the bars inbetween or RI to make them thin. Either way your looking at a few days of drying time to do it.
If you need the template from AC then I can email it to you.

superstar Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks so much, unfortunately time is against me. I love your Eiffel Tower Gaynor. Unfortunately it is also a bit too expensive to get items from th UK. However, I am so grateful for all the help.Mommyle your Eiffel tower is stunning, you did a lovely job, I missed seeing that one & I am so glad to see it now. Thanks again everyone.

cakesunlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesunlimited Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 7:48am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

Thanks so much, unfortunately time is against me. I love your Eiffel Tower Gaynor. Unfortunately it is also a bit too expensive to get items from th UK. However, I am so grateful for all the help.Mommyle your Eiffel tower is stunning, you did a lovely job, I missed seeing that one & I am so glad to see it now. Thanks again everyone.

That's a shame. Well maybe next time.
Just a note about the shipping - I don't charge extotionate shipping rates - I know a lot of companies do - it's the same for us buying from some of the US suppliers. I send the Eiffel Tower kit by Airsure and the whole cost of the kit and shipping to USA is £95.95 which at todays exchange rate works out at around $140 [shipping being around $24]

LeanneW Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 15

so what did you decide to do?

superstar Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 15

leannewinslow, I have decided to make a black plaque, cut the Eiffel Tower out of gumpaste using a simple drawing I found, I will lay the tower flat on the plaque & paint it silver. I am making a Can Can girl out of gumpaste & she will sit on top of the number 40, I will place her on top of the Eiffel Tower. This is my plan (hope it works). Thanks again everyone. Gaynor, if I ever receive an order for a cake like the one on your site, I will most definately order your kit, it is fantastic.

LeanneW Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #15 of 15

Can't wait to see it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%