3" Square Fat Daddio Pans

Decorating By drakegore Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm by xstitcher

drakegore Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 15

i have 5" and 8" square 3" deep fat daddio pans.
am i supposed to be getting a 3" high cake when i turn the cake out of the pan? or are the 3" walls just to give me added security if i overfill?

i have been baking myself 3" cakes, lol. it's a struggle to get such a deep cake done so i am starting to question wether i am using these right or not.

after learning so much on cc, i am using a flower nail and bake even strips and that is helping, but my cakes are dry. so, my second question is: do i need to be baking at 325 instead of 350. right now, it is taking about 50-60 minutes to get one of these baked.

thank you!
diane

14 replies
bakingatthebeach Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 15

I add a spoonful of mayo to my batter, the cake stays moist and it doesnt change the consistency or taste. I always bake at 325 now and fill 3/4 full. I place foil on the rack under my pans just in case it spills over, plus using the flower nail it should rise up fine. Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

emiyeric Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 15

I bake in 3in round pans, for the most part, and I LOVE the WASC recipe as my base recipe (in addition to using the flower nail), since it's so moist yet carveable. Regardless of what recipe you use, however, I always bake at 325 for about 25 minutes, then turn down to 300 andbake the rest of the time at that temperature. Very even, very moist, no problems. HTH!

spunkybear Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:07am
post #4 of 15

Just to second the baking temp..I don't bake at anything but 325 with my fatdaddies. I think they even recommend that somewhere I read.

Kimmers971 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 15

I'm new to CC, would someone fill me in on the flower nail trick you're referencing in this forum?

Thanks!

bakingatthebeach Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:28am
post #6 of 15

You grease and flower a flower nail and set it in your pan with the nail sticking up. The larger your pan, use two nails, then you pour your batter in the pan and bake. The nail helps cook the inside of your cake better since large cakes sometimes cook faster on the outside, this fixes that problem. They make a baking core but its large and leaves a big hole in your cake that you patch with the batter you poured in the core during baking, too much trouble. When youflip your cake, the nail head is right there to pull out and there is no big hole in your cake!

Kimmers971 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #7 of 15

Cool icon_cool.gif I learn something new on this site every minute!

Thanks!

bakingatthebeach Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:40am
post #8 of 15

Me too!

drakegore Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #9 of 15

so it sounds like 325 is the way i should be going! thank you all!
does the 50-60 minutes it is taking me sound about right?

on the moistness: i will try mayo!

i just started "playing" with all the WASC variations on the "gourmet thread" (so fun!), so next one i bake i will use these pans and see if it is different than the scratch recipes i have been using in them.

i read somewhere about putting a little dish of water in the oven while baking. have you ever heard about that? bad idea?

do you usually torte the 3" cake into three layers or do you do four?

diane

cavette Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #10 of 15

Thanks I was wondering how the nail flower worked glad I started reading this forum......Just to add my two cents Im still kinda new but I got some great advice from the wonderful people here when my cakes where dry..... I bought an Oven thermometer and my cakes have been moist....since the problem was my oven was cooking 50degrees higher then what I set it on. Oh I also add a half of cup of Mayo...... Hope it helps

xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:05am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

i just started "playing" with all the WASC variations on the "gourmet thread" (so fun!), so next one i bake i will use these pans and see if it is different than the scratch recipes i have been using in them.

i read somewhere about putting a little dish of water in the oven while baking. have you ever heard about that? bad idea?

diane

I believe your referring to a water bath. These are usually used for custards (such as cheesecake - helps with the cracking).

To the OP, definitely bake at a lower temp - it might take longer but it will bake more evenly.

bakingatthebeach Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:

diane

Yeah, I always set my timer for 45 min (40 for 8in or smaller) then keep checking them after the timer goes off. I usually end up baking the larger ones for at least 50-55 min, sometimes a little longer, but the minute I set my timer for 55 min is the time it will burn on me icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 15

Hey drakegore,

my bad......

I just remembered this morning about reading on a thread before where someone had put a pan of water on the bottom of the oven to help bake their cakes more evenly. I haven't personally tried this method though.

Must have been the time of night (I mean morning icon_lol.gif ) that had me not thinking clearly. icon_redface.gif

drakegore Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 15

i haven't thought clearly since i became a mom icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:

i haven't thought clearly since i became a mom icon_smile.gif

I've got that in common with you! icon_lol.gif I think I lost brain cells during and after each pregnancy. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%