Wilton Fondant Question?

Decorating By nicolesprinkle Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 4:48am by nicolesprinkle

nicolesprinkle Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 8

I make Michele Fosters Fondant for covering all my cakes, but I have an order where I need to make a rainbow just for the topper and I really don't want to color so much fondant for such a small project. So my question is can I add tylose to Wilton primary colors pre-made fondant to make these rainbows in advance? Also how or what can i mix to make the color purple? TIA!

7 replies
sweet_teeth Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 8

Why don't you just color the amount of fondant that you need? It would be super easy if you just need to color a little. Also.. it's much cheaper than buying the pre colored wilton. But.. if that is the route you want to take -- yes you can add tylose to harden them up and you can achieve purple through their primary blue and add some of your own pink to it.

shelbur10 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 8

I use Wilton fondant straight out of the box for all my figures. It's very stiff and dries quick and like a rock.

nicolesprinkle Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

Why don't you just color the amount of fondant that you need? It would be super easy if you just need to color a little. Also.. it's much cheaper than buying the pre colored wilton. But.. if that is the route you want to take -- yes you can add tylose to harden them up and you can achieve purple through their primary blue and add some of your own pink to it.

I would love to color my own, but how can i color it in small amounts? Or can I paint it after I have made it?

shelbur10 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:54am
post #5 of 8

You can paint it after it's made, or you can just take a small amount of your white fondant (however much you need for each individual color) and knead the coloring into that bit of fondant until you get the desired color.

leah_s Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:18am
post #6 of 8

I often color a tablespoon or so of fondant. As noted above, just knead in the tiniest bit of color.

xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I often color a tablespoon or so of fondant. As noted above, just knead in the tiniest bit of color.

Ditto!

Here's a couple of video tutorials if you still have any questions/concerns:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2333519_adding-color-fondant.html

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/68116_gift-cake-color.htm

nicolesprinkle Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:48am
post #8 of 8

I have tried coloring a small amount before and it got really sticky, so I might just need to add a dab at a time. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%