My Cake Is Ugly...please Help Me Save It A.s.ap!!!!!!!!

Decorating By steffla Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 1:29am by steffla

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 50

ok so everyone has a bad day but I cant believe I did this to this cake. I have to deliver it in the morning and its awful. I meant to do a pretty, flowing, loose drapey feeling around the cake and the more I worked the tighter and more cramed I made it. Now it looks like a toga threw up on my cake!!!!

Is there any way to salvage this. I have a platter of dusted fondant shells to include as per the customer and a cute starfish topper but I feel like it is so ugly the more that I stare at it. What do I do????????????

This is for a bridal shower icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
LL

49 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 50

How much time do you have? I find it's always better for me to strip it down and start again, otherwise I just sit and stare at it longer than it would have taken me to start over. Good luck!

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 50

Flowers, if all else fails flowers can save any cake

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 50

How about a border at the bottom of each tier? That will help clean up the edges.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 50

Are you sure you wont like it better with the added decor ?
Maybe it just looks unfinished to you ?

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 50

I think you are being too hard on yourself. Try placing the shells around the cake (loosely, just to vision) as well as topper. Maybe be adding a small trim to disquise the edges and your decorative pieces, the cake will come together.
Sometimes, as cake decorators, we expect our cakes to be as perfect as the image in our heads, but we are always our worst critics. (but keep in mind, I have been in your shoes before, don't always follow my own advise, stayed up to 3am because I started a cake all over again!! icon_lol.gif )
Best wishes,
Jaime

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 50

itt's really not a bad cake. It may not match the vision you had in your head but for those of us outside of your head it looks fine. Very flowy and bridal showery. I'd double up the cake board w/ a wider board underneath the one you have and dress up it's platform that way and maybe brush the whole thing with some perl dust (?) but , honestly, you are being to hard on yourself. it's fine.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 50

I say flowers, flowers, and more flowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edna icon_smile.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 50

I thnk it is just because it is unfinished. I had a cake yesterday that looked terrible when it was iced and had just the border on it. But after I started adding everything to it, it looked much better. I started coming together so to speak. I think you have looked at it to much. Take a break and wait until you have finished before you panic.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 50

Well I would say since the cake design is already busy,make sure your border is plain, in short it has to be plain,and then with some flowers,i'm sure it'll be nice.You can start all over if you have the time but i personally don't think you need to.Good luck.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 50

It actually doesn't look that bad if you can cover the borders. You said you have shells. Try and put shells all around the borders and the top, I think it will look good.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #12 of 50

As bellatheball mentioned, a border would finish off the edges and I think it would look really pretty. Maybe a wide satin ribbon and then add the rest of your pieces? It wouldn't take to long to do and if worse comes to worse and your still unhappy, you can always strip it down. Honestly, it's not as bad as you think...

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 50

I think it's totally salvagable....here's what I would do:

Paint the cake a pretty "under the sea" blue and dust with silver luster dust. That will give it a lovely watery look. Then add you "seascape" decorations...remember to "sand" the base and that will cover up the edges of the cake tiers, and give it that "true" under the sea look.

That's what I would do...cake saved!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:33pm
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

Well I would say since the cake design is already busy,make sure your border is plain, in short it has to be plain,and then with some flowers,i'm sure it'll be nice.You can start all over if you have the time but i personally don't think you need to.Good luck.

DITTO!! Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #15 of 50

I would luster dust it and put a simple rope border then add your decorative pieces. After you do that, take a break then go back and look at it and you just might like it. At any rate, you can at least reassess after stepping away for a bit.

I don't think it's as bad as you think and with the decor on, it will be 100 times better I'm sure!

HTH. icon_smile.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #16 of 50

There are lots of great ideas already, so I'll just add that I think it's pretty and that once finished it'll be beautiful. Please post a pic so we can see it thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif .

tonedna Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:47pm
post #17 of 50

I think adding a border with so many drapes will make the border uneven.. Flowers will cover the bottom of the drape easily..
Edna icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #18 of 50

I think luster dust and flowers!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #19 of 50

I agree with Edna, the border would be uneven. Using flowers would be the best way to go. Hope it works out for you.

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:30pm
post #20 of 50

I like, its different. You just need some flowers like everyone said.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I think adding a border with so many drapes will make the border uneven.. Flowers will cover the bottom of the drape easily..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Good point! This is why you are one of our resident experts icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:42pm
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

Good point! This is why you are one of our resident experts icon_biggrin.gif

Aww..thanks...I work so much with drapes I know how much of a pain they can be..But the cake is so fixable..
Edna icon_rolleyes.gif

steffla Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:08am
post #23 of 50

Just an update....my hubby came home, calmed me down, helped me regroup and we decided that I had to try to strip it down as much as I could. I am surprised but it went much quicker than I expected and I was at least able to spread the drapes out so that they were much more subtle and flowey like I initially wanted. will post pics in a bit, thank you so much everyone for your support and advice. Sorry i was freaking out!!!

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #24 of 50

look forward to the picture.

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:30am
post #25 of 50

Don't be sorry! You just want it to turn out nice and that can be very stressful! I'm sure it is going to look beautiful when you are finished! Please do post pics when you are done! Good luck!

steffla Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #26 of 50

Okay here it is. Let me know what you think!! Thank you so much again for all your support and encouragement. It is such a good feeling to hear from people who know what I am going through icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

**edited to add -the cake has a lot more color than shows up on film icon_sad.gif Has shells dusted with pastels in peach, avocado and purple.
LL

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:14am
post #27 of 50

Great recovery! I think it came out looking really nice thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:14am
post #28 of 50

I think it came out great! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:18am
post #29 of 50

thank you for posting your picture.. i am glad you actually started over... it is beautiful.. i looked at your pictures.. and seen one that you draped. that one is also beautiful.. i thought, when i seen the other one... that you would do it all over.. the sea shells, etc. are just beautful on your cake. i know you feel better now..

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #30 of 50

The final product is excellent!! Great save.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%