Having Trouble With My Fondant Pieces

Decorating By yummy Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 10:15pm by KristyCakes

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone, I'm having trouble with my fondant. Sometimes it sticks and I can never get it rolled out evenly so that the shape is the same thickness (even with rings). I don't have the roll and cut mat or a pasta maker yet. I look at all the cakes in the galleries with fondant accents and they all look consistant in thickness. Please share your tips on the following:

What do you roll out your fondant on?
What kind of roller do you use, do you use the rings?
How do you get the pieces on the cake so perfectly without loosing their shape?
How far in advance do you cut out your pieces before putting on the cake, how do you store it?
What do you use to attach yours to bc?

Thanks everyone for your advice and experience.

2 replies
solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 3

Hello Yummy, If i'm rolling a small piece of fondant i do it on the table,dusted with corn starch or ps.If it sticks i scrape it with an angled spatula before cutting.If it is to cover a whole cake i recently bought the wilton pastry mat but i used to roll on cling film,you need to find a way to secure it to the table.It's not always even,but the un-eveness does not really show.
I have the rings bit i've had no luck with them so i've never used them.To get the pieces perfectly at times you might need to allow the fondant piece to dry a little so it'll hold its shape when you lift esp is it has an empty middle like an O,if not you can pick up immediately.I normally just attach with water.Good luck.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 3

I roll out on countertop dusted with corn starch also. Don't use the rings, just the big fondant rolling pin. It helps for be to be above my fondant when I roll it, helps me to get it flattened even. I agree that slight differences won't be noticed on a cake. Not sure what "pieces" you refer to. The only pieces I let sit are sculpted pieces. I find if I have a cutout or something to stick on the cake, I have to add them right away (with water also). If I let them sit more than a couple of minutes, they get wrinkles in them from sticking a little when I try to lift them off the counter and it makes me crazy! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%