Silver Icing!!

Decorating By queenie1958 Updated 26 Aug 2013 , 8:51pm by kmartinezgarcia

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone come up with a method for making silver icing?
My daughter wants silver accents for her wedding cake. I've tried dusting the roses with silver but didn't like the look.
Thanks.

7 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 8

You can make the roses using grey icing, then use a shimmering pearl or silver lustre dust overtop......OR use a silver lustre dust mixed with a bit of vodka/lemon extract and paint them by hand in a coat or two.

queenie1958 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 8

I've never seen grey icing, have looked but no luck.
I didn't like the lustre dust with vodka seemed to clump and I didn't like
the look. I guess my only option is a bit of black.

antonia74 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #4 of 8

I was under the assumption that you were making the roses yourself, not buying them....and if so, you'd just add a dot of black to the icing/fondant/gumpaste to get grey.

You'd want to start with grey (as opposed to white) because that's closest to silver, therefore you wouldn't need as many coats of lustre dust to get a silver colour. (White needs multiple coats so that no white streaks show through, see?)

If your lustre dust seems clumpy, add another drop or two of the vodka to it to thin it out. It should be the consistency of paint/watercolours when you apply it. That, or do it dry if it's not working for you.

queenie1958 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:56am
post #5 of 8

Yes I wanted to make buttercream flowers in silver, so will use just a little of black and hope for the best. Thanks

antonia74 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:48am
post #6 of 8

Buttercream? Okay, again I was assuming something else. icon_lol.gif

Why not make them in royal icing for strength/ability to make ahead of time? That way, you can actually make them silvery. Buttercream can be grey, sure....but that's kind of icky alone...and I'm not sure you'd be able to add silver on top of that, it being a soft icing. thumbsdown.gif

Here's two examples of what I thought you were going for, the first by The Cake Celebration company in the UK and the second is a small cupcake tower cake I did for a silver anniversary.

You can add silver details using ribbon, silver leaves, silver dragees, a silver topper, etc, etc.....
LL
LL

queenie1958 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #7 of 8

Your cakes and flowers with accents are just lovely.
Thank you for the info.
My daughter wants cake layers turned to minic stairs so I just might use some ribbon for accents.
Thank you

kmartinezgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmartinezgarcia Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 8

I am looking to make a similar silver to the 25th Anniversary cake... how did you do it?  I am making a wedding cake and the lady want silver piping over a off white BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%