Red And Black Royal Icing?

Baking By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm by antonia74

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make a cookie using red and black icing. From my Wilton class, the instructor said that using too much of either of these colors will make buttercream bitter. Is that also true for royal? For black, she suggested starting with chocolate buttercream icing and then adding black to darken it. Any tips for royal? Or does it even matter? I'll be using antonia's recipe. Thanks in advance.

7 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 8

You can use chefmaster colors, I never had bitter problems with that. As for red, I know wilton has a no taste red that works well. Americolor is another good company.
Edna icon_smile.gif

taliyahsnana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taliyahsnana Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 8

I've used Wilton No-taste red in RI and BC, I used enough to make a severe intense red and did not taste it a bit.
I'm very picky about taste and flavors, it took at least 2 doz variations of BC for me to find one I really appreciated thumbs_up.gif

I suggest, if your tastebuds are sensitive make some and taste it.

PS
antonia's RI recipe is the bomb icon_biggrin.gif

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 8

I only use the no taste Wilton for my red icing. I use Antonia's recipe for royal.

Make sure you let your icing sit overnight. The color will deepen.

As far as black, I like Americolor Super Black. I have added cocoa powder also for a chocolate royal. When I did this, I didn't have to use as much black coloring.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 8

Awesome! You guys rock! I will try the cocoa powder to help with the black and Wilton no taste for the red.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 8

Also, mixing all your leftover mixed colored RI into one batch will make a muddy color and get you very close to black so you need minimal black coloring.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 8

I am tight on time, so I am going to be bad and cut and paste a bit from a response I left earlier on another posting regarding red and black. With red, mix your red as pink first, then add red. Don't go as deep as you might think and let it sit overnight for the color to deepen. This way you don't need as much red. ( I like Americolor Super Red).

For black, I sing the praises of SweetDreamsAT as she really helped me with this hint. Mix cocoa powder (I use Hershey's Dark) in after you RI is done to get it about medium brownish (same idea Cookiemookie is talking about). Then add your black (I like Americolor Super Black). As with the red, don't go as deep in tone as you will need. Let it sit overnight and the color will deepen. Again, you are not adding as much color as you might have originally. Oh, and Antonia74's RI all the way! icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks Tracy! icon_biggrin.gif

I swear by Americolor brand myself. In fact, I just did these cookies for a very non-traditional baby shower this week....in red and black!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%