Baseball Through Broken Window Cake

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm by charleezgal

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 6

My son wants a birthday cake where it looks like the baseball has broken a window. I searched the galleries and only found one cake to view. Does anyone recall seeing a cake that looked "real" on CC?

Has anyone made one of these? He is turning 13 and his baseball team is coming. It needs to look awesome and not "babyish".

I appreciate any ideas and pictures.

Teresa icon_smile.gif

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 6

I did a groom's cake where I made boots breaking out a window with shattered glass everywhere. It's a band's logo.

Anyway, I'd do a baseball (little ball cake pan) on a brick background and shards of broken glass (poured sugar) everywhere. Just make the poured sugar, pour it onto a Silpat and when it's set and cool, carefully drop it to break it. You want larger shards not tiny things. Thn scatter the shards around the baseball.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 6

What a cool idea--can't wait to see the finished cake!

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 6

I have no idea how to do this. But, wuld love for you to post the picture when finished
nancyg

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 6

easy method -- tho a bit messy.

sheet cake as base

1/2 sports ball pan -- the baseball.

using a crusting BC
ice sheet cake -- sides w/ baseball theme.
top of sheet --> plain white.

build up a simple border at least 1/2 deep and solid w/ no gaps

ice sports ball cake to look like baseball.

set up cake so it is in portrait mode (ie long side top to bottom -- narrow L>R)

place baseball about 1/3 down from top and 1/3 in from left side (the photo rule of thirds for best composition)

after icing is fully crusted.

mix up a lot of piping gel so it has an ever so pale blue tint.

flood entire top of sheet w/ tinted piping gel for glass effect.

now take some of the remaining white BC and using a small round tip (3 or 4) pipe the crack lines out from the b-ball to the edges -- I'd actually pipe them INTO not on top of the gel so it looks even more cracked (might tint the bc a soft shade of gray-blue)

--------

another option building on Leah's great suggestion.

take a large cake board or foam core board and cover w/ aluminum foil

lightly oil the foil (a quick spritz w/ spray Pam or similar and them smeared w/ brush or paper towel until evenly covered -- want just a very very light coat)

build a wall around the edge also using aluminum foil to hold in the sugar when you pour it

make a big batch of candy glass (tons of recipes all over the net -- just google) and tint it a very very pale blue and flavor it using candy flavoring oils with something the kids will like --- or if you want the expense --- buy all one flavor of suckers/lollipops or hard sugar candies and melt them down. (cheaper to make the candy glass and flavor)

pour onto board and allow to start to set.

BEFORE completely set (as edges start to harden) take a sharp pointed knife and cut the cracks into the "glass" -- pick a point of origin for the cracks and make all radiate out from there.

once completely set remove wall around the edge.

bake a soccer ball cake and a matching size round tier.
stack the two and ice to look like a base ball.

set the stacked cake on the point of origin

add message.

The sugar glass can be peeled off the foil and eaten just like a hard candy. It will crack easily along the lines you've drawn in. this alone will be lots of fun for the team to break up and eat. -- of course it does put them in sugar rush/high territory.

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the ideas. LEAHS- do you have a picture of the boot through the window cake? I'd love to see the effect of the sugar glass. I've never used poured sugar before. I hope it's not too difficult for a first timer. What is a Silpat?

Teresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%