What Am I Doing Wrong? Fbct

Decorating By allysons Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm by allysons

allysons Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:38am
post #1 of 3

I was (am) miserably sick with strep throat, and I had to do a cake for dh's boss. It was fairly simple, but the FBCT came out messy. I tried pushing on the icing to blend the lines together, but then my white started to get messy. Can anyone give me some tips as to where I am going wrong?

Here is a pic: It is a military guidon.
LL

2 replies
amysue99 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:13am
post #2 of 3

Two suggestions:

1. Once you put down the color layer, allow it to crust and then smooth by gently tapping. that will help to settle in the lines.

2. After you put it on the cake (which you've done), allow to crust again and then smooth just like you would regular buttercream with a paper towel. You'll need to be very gentle. I like to use just one finger and move it in small circles, that way you don't disturb the design.

For any bits of white that escape outside of the design, I use a toothpick to gently pull them out and them smooth that area down. I also do that to help sharpen up lines that have bled a litle bit. I hope that helps!

allysons Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the tips! I use the butter cream recipe that was included in the article posted on this site; I don't think it crusts. I never thought to tap it after I pipe it out - I use plexiglass so I would have to be careful - knowing my luck I would break it. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%