Weight On Top Of Cake-Please Help

Decorating By SOULLA13 Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 9:41pm by SOULLA13

SOULLA13 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:25am
post #1 of 8

hi everyone,

i wantto make a 3 tiered cake but in between each cake i would like to put some kind of glass vase with fairy lights inside but what i am worried about is the weight that the cake can take. Obviously i will dowel the cakes and put boards in between each layer but will that be enough, this is really stressing me out as i would like this cake to be perfect as it will be for my godaughters christening.

Any advice would be most grateful. x

7 replies
brincess_b Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:11am
post #2 of 8

the dowels should support the weight on the vae, so you should be fine if its done properly. if the weight ends up on the cake, then you might have problems. it looks great when its done tho!

sweetcakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 8

i think the OP is more concerned that the bottom vase will support the weight of the cakes ontop. I would be too. you could stack stuff ontop of a vase jsut to see how much it will hold.

kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 8

It is going to depend on the vase(s) you use. W/o seeing them it is impossible to know if they are strong enough.
I agree w/sweetcakes.....put a bunch of weight on the vase - books or whatever to see how it holds up.
I have used vases a couple of times but they were heavy, thick glass.

SOULLA13 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 8

im not worried about the cake on the vase i am more worried about it sinking right through thr cake if it is too heavy, i think i need to try this on a cake at home just for the family to test this out to be on the safe side icon_sad.gif

queenie1958 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 8

Maybe the sps method would help with the weight.

indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 8
Originally Posted by SOULLA13

im not worried about the cake on the vase i am more worried about it sinking right through thr cake if it is too heavy....

Assuming the vases are strong enough to hold the cakes .....

Your dowels in the bottom cake should support the vase. The vase should support the weight of the cake. The weight of the cake will not push the vase down into the bottom cake because the vase is sitting on the dowels, not on the cakes.

The strength or texture of the bottom cake has nothing to do with supporting the cake(s) above. it's all about the support system.

SOULLA13 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 8

thanks indydebi that really has reassured me so so much im now really excited to start this cake!!! thank you so much for your advice. x

Quote by @%username% on %date%