When And How Long?

Decorating By TurtleGiraffe Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 3:01am by aquamom

TurtleGiraffe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TurtleGiraffe Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:19am
post #1 of 14

I'm new to fondant cakes and giving it a go for the first time for my daughters 3rd birthday on Sunday.

I am doing safari themed.

I want to cover the cardboard under the cake ( will be sticking out around cake about 3") with fondant - how long do I let that sit till I add the. Cake on to it?

Also, I am hand crafting the safari animals so that they are 3D figurines out of fondant. How long do I let those sit before adding them to the cake?

Thanks!

13 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:33am
post #2 of 14

I'm trying to remember and I want to say at least 24 hours on your board, just to be sure it is fully dry. Otherwise, it will try to sink from the weight of your cake and your fondant could crack.

For figures, I would just add some gumpaste to help them dry quickly and I would say you can put those on your cake as soon as all of their 'parts' are firmly glued together. Maybe make them the night before just to be safe.

Hopefully someone else will answer too!!

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:38am
post #3 of 14

When I cover my cake boards, with fondant, I add some Gumtex because it helps it dry faster. I use clear piping gel to glue the fondant to the board. The last time I did this, the fondant took about 2 days to dry. Personally, I like to use Gumtex to help figures dry faster, too.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:46am
post #4 of 14

oh my gosh, i'm doing a safari cake too! You have to post it here when you're don!!!

TurtleGiraffe Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:49am
post #5 of 14

Thanks! Any other tips I should be aware of? I plaer the cardboard bottom tomorrow in the morning as well as make the figurines. I'm artistic so that's not an issue - I am jus so new to this icon_smile.gif

I bought a 10lb bucket of fondX and I am doing a two tier cake.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:56am
post #6 of 14

If I'm reading correct, it looks like you will be making this for tomorrow and I would say that you should get started right away.

The figures will take more than a day to fully dry if made of just fondant or MMF. If you don't have enough time for them to dry, make sure to support them on the cake or else you may find that they will start to slump or slouch or droop.

I usually make figures 3-5 days in advance - see my gallery - I've done a Santa, a Naruto and a Pinocchio all of which were done in two parts - body one day then head and limbs 2nd day.

I just finished a Gordon from Thomas the Train and I let that dry 3 days before adding details and it still warped a little.

Good Luck and HTH. icon_smile.gif

TurtleGiraffe Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 14

The cake, finished icon_smile.gif

Thank you for all your help

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/PrettyCreations/thecake.jpg
LL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #8 of 14

Oh, my! That turned out so cute!

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #9 of 14

You did a great job for your first time with fondant! How did you enjoy using fondant? All the animals look wonderful!

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #10 of 14

Your cake turned out so cute! Great job on you first fondat adventure!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:47am
post #11 of 14

Sooo adorable ~ Great Job!! icon_smile.gif

TurtleGiraffe Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:50am
post #12 of 14

It was fun!!! Plan to try it more often icon_smile.gif

Thank you!!!! I know its not perfect but its a start!

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:54am
post #13 of 14

Ummm..your cake is awesome and your animals are adorable! I've never tried making those, I'm sure I wouldnt do half as well! thumbs_up.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:01am
post #14 of 14

The cake is fabulous. You did an incredible job. Congratulations!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%