Do Not Stress Your Cake Person

Decorating By Mac Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 11:13am by solascakes

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm
post #31 of 56

Don't call me every half hour asking me if I can be finished in the next half hour!! I had a lady tell me that she needed her cake by 4:00pm. I started on it at 8:00am. Plenty of time to get it finished! It was a coach purse with the dust bag as a base (like the LV purse I have in my pics...but Coach). She calls me at 9:00am asking if I can be done by 3:00pm instead of 4. No problem. Then she calls me an hour later asking me if I can be done by 1:00pm. I tell her I should be done by then, but I don't want to promise anything.

The design had a lot of small details, a woven handle, lots of buckles and rings, it might take me a while to get it all done. I tell her I'll call her around 11:00am and let her know how I'm doing. Mind you, I had NOTHING done when I started. I had to stack the cake, fill it, carve it, crumb it, then start decorating it!! She calls ME at 11:00 asking me if I'm done yet. I say I'm about half way done and should be done around 1:00pm. At 12:00 she calls and asks if she can pick up the cake!! At this point I say, "yeah...go ahead and come over." I decide to do a straight handle instead of a woven one, I decide to leave off a BUNCH of details, and I figure, oh well...she's the one rushing me...

She gets to my house like 10 minutes later (was she sitting around the corner or something?) and I'm barely finishing the airbrushing on the base!! I put the purse on top of the base, throw it in a box, collect my fee, and offer to put it in her car for her. She tells me, "It's okay, I'm just gonna put it in the back." I carry it out for her anyway and she tells me to put it on top of a bunch of uneven, and unsteady junk she has in the back of her van!!! I'm like, "Okay. There you go!!"

I never heard from her again, thank GOD!! I doubt the cake survived the trip! Oh well...it came out looking half @ssed anyway... I sure didn't like it. The best part was that the party didn't even start until 6:00pm but she wanted to leave by 1:00pm to make sure she got there on time!!! And the party was only about 25 miles away!! Less than an hour away!

Crazy...

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:31pm
post #32 of 56

#? (I've lost track of what number we're on)
Don't tell me you'll pick-up the cake at 1 p.m. only to arrive 2 hours early (unannouced) and expect the cake to be ready to go.

and vis-versa..............

Don't arrive 2 hours late to pick up the cake. I have a life too and a phone call would have been nice.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #33 of 56

# something
don't make an appointment for a wedding cake consult, and have only the groom and his mother show up. If the Bride is sick or studying for exams, I get it. Call me. I can't do any planning without the person with the ideas and photos. You just wasted my afternoon getting ready for you, and you are forcing me to waste another afternoon prepping for you again!!!! UGH!!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

#3...I feel ya on that one! I had a customer do that. EVERY DAY! email me asking how is the cake going. Can you email pics of it so far? Grrr!!!! It irritates me to no end~

No no no I would so way do this, what'sa matta w/you--like send a picture of the flour & sugar spilt out of the fallen over bags with some broken gooey egg yolks & shells nearby.
A view of the sink loaded with dirty dishes.

A picture of you all sweaty, red-faced and disshelveled relaxing in front of a big fan with a bottle of beer. Another shot of you passed out.

A shot of you tip-toeing into the bakery at Sam's looking over your shoulder to see if anyone notices. icon_biggrin.gif

Sure I could operate in carefully timed photo shoot increments like that.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Maybe a shot of one of the kids pushing the other kid into the cake...y'know encouraging Hallmark moment photos like that.

Picture of a car wreck. icon_biggrin.gif

Picture of a fist fight. icon_biggrin.gif

Relieve angst much, Kate???
Why, thank you, I think I will.

oh, goodness! I am going to use this one for real!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #35 of 56

#35 Don't call me at my home number when you can't reach me on the business line (they're right next to each other pretty much...hahahahaha) especially, AFTER HOURS!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:49am
post #36 of 56

mac...it seems like you have to get all that in writing... in a contract that your customers must sign!!! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

#3...I feel ya on that one! I had a customer do that. EVERY DAY! email me asking how is the cake going. Can you email pics of it so far? Grrr!!!! It irritates me to no end~

No no no I would so way do this, what'sa matta w/you--like send a picture of the flour & sugar spilt out of the fallen over bags with some broken gooey egg yolks & shells nearby.

A view of the sink loaded with dirty dishes.

A picture of you all sweaty, red-faced and disshelveled relaxing in front of a big fan with a bottle of beer. Another shot of you passed out.

A shot of you tip-toeing into the bakery at Sam's looking over your shoulder to see if anyone notices. icon_biggrin.gif

Sure I could operate in carefully timed photo shoot increments like that.

Maybe a shot of one of the kids pushing the other kid into the cake...y'know encouraging Hallmark moment photos like that.

Picture of a car wreck. icon_biggrin.gif

Picture of a fist fight. icon_biggrin.gif

Relieve angst much, Kate???
Why, thank you, I think I will.

Kate,

I was going to say send pics of cake boxes, icing bags, shortening, butter and then various stages of mixing (cake batter, bc icing etc) but I like your version much better! icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:18am
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

http://tackyweddings.com/2008/09/10/super-slutty-wedding-dress-whoooooa/

WOW~ I would seriously have told this slut that I was insulted to be invited to an affair where the bride thought this was even remotely appropriate. Holy cow. She looks like a sreetwalking hooker. and a cheap one at that. Wow WOW WOW!!!

icon_eek.gif WOW icon_eek.gif I'm speechless (and that don't happen often icon_lol.gif ). I think someone asked on that site why she even bothered covering up her legs but I guess it has to look somewhat like a wedding dress, eh?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #39 of 56

#36: Don't play the poverty card ("oh we're so broke and on less than a budget ... can you give us a price break?") and then ask for cake to serve 350. If you're floating in poverty, you don't plan a party for 350!!!! icon_mad.gif

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #40 of 56

RobzC8kz:

Have to agree with you that lady sounds like a kook!

It's unbelievable how many people try to put their cakes in their trunks with like a million other things in there or some other ridiculously unsafe part of their car. Once a relative of mine put a cake I made on the floor of their van and as they drove away, they hit a speed bump and some items they had laying on their rear seat fell off and SMASHED the cake. That's always a fun call to get. icon_cry.gif

Crissy_Cakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

#36: Don't play the poverty card ("oh we're so broke and on less than a budget ... can you give us a price break?") and then ask for cake to serve 350. If you're floating in poverty, you don't plan a party for 350!!!! icon_mad.gif

thumbs_up.gif AMEN! We're not stupid, we know what you're doing when you play the poverty card. If you really are having troubles and are still moving forward with the party, then I have two suggestions for you:
#1 Get your priorities straight
#2 Looks like your party just turned into a Potluck (YE-HAW)!!!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:29pm
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissy_Cakes

#? (I've lost track of what number we're on)
Don't tell me you'll pick-up the cake at 1 p.m. only to arrive 2 hours early (unannouced) and expect the cake to be ready to go.

and vis-versa..............

Don't arrive 2 hours late to pick up the cake. I have a life too and a phone call would have been nice.

AMAN SISTER!!
Who do they think they are, the cable guy?
"I'll be there between 10am & 4pm."
I'll just leave you a key under the doormat so you can let your inconsiderate butt in!!!

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #43 of 56

#38 Just because you are a distant family member twice removed and I gave you a pretty good deal on your cake, does not constitute that I give all your friends, distant family or your boss a really great deal too, to help them out too. If you tell your friends again what I charged you, I will double and maybe triple your price for YOUR next cake depending on how I feel that day.

indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #44 of 56

KKC, you are more than generous having someone wait until 11:30!!! icon_surprised.gif 30 minutes past closing time and I am OUTTA there! We are not walmart .... we are not open 24/7. She's late ... she has no cake.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #45 of 56
Quote:

U hit the nail on the head with that one...I've now implemented a late fee in my contract...$15.00 for every half hour u are late picking up ur cake. I made a cake for someone she was suppose to pick up at 6 (when i close) but she didn't pick up the cake until 11:30pm icon_mad.gif my poor assistant had to wait on her to come and on top of that she wasn't answering her phone...I was furious and I had to make another cake for her a few days later...i told her that she will have to pay the late fee if she is more than a half hour late for pick up...I must say that since I put that late fee in my contract no one has been more than 10 minutes late for pick up thumbs_up.gif

KKC Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:13pm
post #46 of 56
Quote:

KKC, you are more than generous having someone wait until 11:30!!! icon_surprised.gif 30 minutes past closing time and I am OUTTA there! We are not walmart .... we are not open 24/7. She's late ... she has no cake.

I know...I was ready to close shop but my assistant felt bad for her and volunteered to stay...I guess u know that when i mentioned that late fee girlfriend came on time to pick up that second cake icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #47 of 56

Hey, KKC, that is weird!! The post of yours that I responded to is showing up AFTER my response! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

KKC Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #48 of 56

That's my fault because I was trying to edit it and it messed up lol..i'm not very CC editing savvy icon_redface.gif

Crissy_Cakes Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

Quote:

U hit the nail on the head with that one...I've now implemented a late fee in my contract...$15.00 for every half hour u are late picking up ur cake. I made a cake for someone she was suppose to pick up at 6 (when i close) but she didn't pick up the cake until 11:30pm icon_mad.gif my poor assistant had to wait on her to come and on top of that she wasn't answering her phone...I was furious and I had to make another cake for her a few days later...i told her that she will have to pay the late fee if she is more than a half hour late for pick up...I must say that since I put that late fee in my contract no one has been more than 10 minutes late for pick up thumbs_up.gif

Whoa icon_eek.gif, someone was 5 1/2 hrs late to pick-up their cake! Oh honey you are too kind to actually have your assistant stay after hours because of the customers lack of responsiblity. Guranteed if you were 5 1/2 hrs late to deliver a cake you'd be take to court.
I'm curious, what was their excuse?

And I'm so going to put in my contracts (when I get my own shop) a late fee just like yours...thanks!

KKC Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:18am
post #50 of 56
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

Quote:

Whoa icon_eek.gif, someone was 5 1/2 hrs late to pick-up their cake! Oh honey you are too kind to actually have your assistant stay after hours because of the customers lack of responsiblity. Guranteed if you were 5 1/2 hrs late to deliver a cake you'd be take to court.
I'm curious, what was their excuse?

And I'm so going to put in my contracts (when I get my own shop) a late fee just like yours...thanks!

Her excuse when she came to get the cake was that she was at the hair salon (which takes hours because she was getting extensions)...and then she had to get her 3 kids to the sitter oh and not to mention her friends nor her family wanted to help her at all with the party. I was so upset that I told her (in one of my many messages on her voicemail) that I was going to have to decline her other order but my hubby talked me out of it saying that we needed the money blah blah blah!!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:33am
post #51 of 56

good gravy i'm so glad to hear theres crazy weirdos everywhere.

my pet peeve is....i always have lotsa orders on saturday usually 15-25 and i'm a 1 man show....the phone starts ringing instantly to see if their cake is ready yet, or can they get it early, or i'm on this side of town, can i pick it up now, or husbands who come rolling in at 10:30 and the order wasn't due till 2 oclock.

i think i'm gonna put a new greeting on the answering machine on saturdays telling them i'm there...but to busy making THEIR cake to answer the phone...and that the cake will be ready at the time they specified...no earlier.

this business would be great if it wasn't for the customers....and the tax man.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:39am
post #52 of 56

Or how about the ones that call on Saturday to talk about their wedding cake that is due in a couple of weeks. Hello??? Saturdays??? Big wedding days! I am consumed with the weddings I have for this Saturday and not EVEN concerned with your wedding in 2 weeks.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:33am
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Or how about the ones that call on Saturday to talk about their wedding cake that is due in a couple of weeks. Hello??? Saturdays??? Big wedding days! I am consumed with the weddings I have for this Saturday and not EVEN concerned with your wedding in 2 weeks.

OMG this is THE WORST!

they get mad too....i gotta tell them, i'm under the gun right now, no time to talk, can you come back later?

i had the GREATEST wedding cake order ever last week....they just emailed and told me to make them a cake, and gave me the colors they were using....that's it, no muss no fuss....i called her work a few days latewr (just to make sure i wasn't being punked)...ha ha...i just got an email while ago saying how much she loved the cake ...it was an emergency cake.....but dude easy breezy!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:36am
post #54 of 56

How bout:

Do NOT send your husband or 17 year old kid, or best friend or whoever to pick up the cake- and then they say it looks great ( they have no idea what it is suppose to be) and then when they bring it home you hate it.. so you call to complain.

Uhhh I hated when people would show up 30 min before we even opened~ I come to work early to set things up for the day. and you know if you open that door it will be chaos for the rest of the day! I started coming in right at 10 lol.

indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:46am
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

Uhhh I hated when people would show up 30 min before we even opened~ I come to work early to set things up for the day. and you know if you open that door it will be chaos for the rest of the day! I started coming in right at 10 lol.

Back door. That's why I sometimes park the van by the back door! icon_biggrin.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:13am
post #56 of 56
Quote:

Oh I get this a lot,I'm really broke and just managing. icon_evil.gif But you are having a party in a large hall you fool,if you were broke you would have the party at home or better still no party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%