Do Not Stress Your Cake Person

Decorating By Mac Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 11:13am by solascakes

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:02am
post #1 of 56

I know I am not alone in this. I have come up with 6 things that irritate the living daylights out of me. Please feel free to add to this list:

1--Do not send me 15,000 emails with "one more question"--the more time I spend reading those emails, the less time I am working on your cake!

2--Do not offer to help me make your cake to get it for a cheaper price--it will take me twice as long to finish your cake while I "instruct" you. This in turn, will increase the final price of your cake for "free decorating instructions."

3--Do not call me everyday to get an update--UPDATE??? Is this about an Amber Alert? Is your cake missing?

4--Do not ask me if your cake will "slide all over the board" while you drive to your party--Are you Mario Andretti or Jeff Gordon? I make every attempt to make it "stay in place"; however, once it leaves my hands, it's all on you. SO DON'T DRIVE LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL.

5--When you do get to your event and you did take that corner on 2 wheels, DO NOT call me to come and fix it.

6--Do not get a price on wedding cake and then tell me that "Oh, my MOH and I are going to make it. Can we call you for advice, if we need to?"--Sure, you can call me...my instructing fee is $25.00 an hour--wait a minute! I should do like all those "chat" commercials and charge $3.95 per minute. Oooh, yeah, that would be better.

Thanks for letting me vent!

55 replies
hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 56

7. Please don't ask me a price and then tell me that so and so big box store, can make the same cake for $$$. Can you come down on your price? So I can feel that I am getting a the best deal ever!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 56

8. don't tell me EXACTLY what you want and then change your mind a 100 times and then say - "or whatever YOU think will look best". You either want it YOUR way or MY way - you can't have both!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 56

Yes and Yes to #7 and #8. See I knew that we all hear the same thing.
To add to #5--because you were too cheap to pay my delivery charge.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 56

9, Dont ask me...Can I taste it first

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 56

10. Don't get mad at me when the colors that YOU wanted and insisted on (when I protested), look disgusting together. icon_confused.gif

solascakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 56

11,Don't almost kill me for a discount and then roll up in your brand new BMW all blinged up to pick up your cake.( you stingy b$$$h)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 56

11. Don't ask if I will mnake a model of the cake beforehand so that you can "approve" it.
12. Don't email repeatedly with messages from your cousin who also "does cakes", telling me how she says that I should decorate/bake/assemble it.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 56

I love #12!! I hate it when there is someone else instructing the customer what to say or ask. lol If that other person is so smart then why isn't she willing to tackle the project??

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 56

#13..Don't email me 10 times asking the same questions that I've already answered in email #1,2 & 3.
#14..Don't ask me if I can make the cake without giving a deposit because you don't have time to drop it off. icon_mad.gif
#15..Don't keep calling me asking for price quotes for the same cake u called about last week...THE PRICES ARE STILL THE SAME!!! icon_mad.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 56

16. Don't text me and ask me to send you a pic of the cake. This is not a tutorial.
17. Do not text me and ask me, "How's the cake coming along?" Yea, if I didn't know HOW to make cakes you wouldn't be here...

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:53pm
post #12 of 56

#18 Don't ask for an original cake that no one has ever had, but you aren't sure what you want.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #13 of 56

19) Please don't ask for directions to pick up the cake, and then ask again, and again, because you don't keep your emails. Learn how to use Mapquest, Google Maps, or the GPS in your car.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 56

20. Don't hover next to me as I assemble the 80 pound 5 tier beast of a cake you wanted onto the cheap flimsy table the restaurant provided while constantly asking "do you think it will fall if someone bangs into the table?"
OF COURSE IT WILL FALL!! If you want your cake to defy gravity, I'm sorry, but I will have to charge you extra. Grrrrrr... icon_mad.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:07pm
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

19) Please don't ask for directions to pick up the cake, and then ask again, and again, because you don't keep your emails. Learn how to use Mapquest, Google Maps, or the GPS in your car.

U can say that again icon_wink.gif My phone rings every 5 minutes because someone missed their turn or they want me to stay on the phone while they find me icon_mad.gif Um no, I have about 50 other cakes and things to get out to customers so I'm going to need u to learn how to follow directions. icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 56

Don't conveniently forget to mention you have a hideous a$$ ugly topper of the bride dragging the groom away, or something with fake flowers and hearts...cause you bet your butt I will be getting the pics for my portfolio before you ruin the whole cake with that crappy topper! Please wait to put the topper on Bride, I need a "good" picture first! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm
post #17 of 56

#20. Don't email me from my website, telling me that you looked at my website, to ask me what my prices are. My prices are on my website!!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #18 of 56
GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #19 of 56

#(which ever one this comes next i don't want to make them outta order)

Please dont come into a cake designers business, look over things, do your tastings, then take the Custom Design to another place of business!! (not my own personal experience,i just read about this one recently on cc and felt for that decorator!)

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #20 of 56

#3...I feel ya on that one! I had a customer do that. EVERY DAY! email me asking how is the cake going. Can you email pics of it so far? Grrr!!!! It irritates me to no end~

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #21 of 56

#22 I think that is where we are....
Don't ask me "are you sure you can do this, or are "capable" to do it! WTF!!!!
#23 Are you sure your prices are close to everyone else?
#24 Only give you an email for contact info, although they hardly ever are on the computer, and rarely check their email...well DUH!

solascakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #22 of 56

Wow what kind of wedding is that,that is embarrassing.

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #23 of 56

#25 is the cake going to be fresh?.....No you idiot...I am going to make it 2 weeks before the event and let it sit out on the counter!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK????

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:46pm
post #24 of 56

#26 - Don't ask me to make frosting to taste like Price Chopper's! If you want PC frosting, go to PC (or costco, walmart, krogers, food lion, albertsons, whatever pleases you).

#26A - Don't send me a recipe for whipped cream just because you want PC's "Whipped Creme" shelf stable frosting. No, it is not the same thing, and no, I will not make it. It will melt in July outside. Get the picture?

(Yes, I did have a request for this. It was a free cake, too. And the birthday girl wouldn't eat any of the cake because it wasn't her recipe. Sorry - everyone else liked it.)

GRRRR icon_mad.gif

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #25 of 56

#27 DON'T send me a picture of a $200.00 cake when your budget is $60.00.

#28 DON'T act surprised when I give you a price quote when I told you my per serving cost the last time you bought a cake

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

#3...I feel ya on that one! I had a customer do that. EVERY DAY! email me asking how is the cake going. Can you email pics of it so far? Grrr!!!! It irritates me to no end~

No no no I would so way do this, what'sa matta w/you--like send a picture of the flour & sugar spilt out of the fallen over bags with some broken gooey egg yolks & shells nearby.

A view of the sink loaded with dirty dishes.

A picture of you all sweaty, red-faced and disshelveled relaxing in front of a big fan with a bottle of beer. Another shot of you passed out.

A shot of you tip-toeing into the bakery at Sam's looking over your shoulder to see if anyone notices. icon_biggrin.gif

Sure I could operate in carefully timed photo shoot increments like that.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Maybe a shot of one of the kids pushing the other kid into the cake...y'know encouraging Hallmark moment photos like that.

Picture of a car wreck. icon_biggrin.gif

Picture of a fist fight. icon_biggrin.gif

Relieve angst much, Kate???
Why, thank you, I think I will.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #27 of 56

#29 - DON'T ask me..."can you do a wedding cake for my cousin"...everyone in town is quoting us a per serving price! icon_evil.gif

#30 - DON'T ask me to donate a cake for your bad sixteen year old girls that serves 100 people.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #28 of 56

Don't show up at my door with a cake smashed to bits, and say " can you fix it " after you forgot about it being in your car and took a corner way too fast. But like a dummy I made a new cake. Never again, the stress level with someone sitting there waiting for it, it was for a friend, so I felt like I had to do it.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

http://tackyweddings.com/category/ugly-cakes/

Bwahahahahaha!

Oh dear God - I don't know which is worse: the vampire bride (is it really a woman???) in the coffin or the worst wedding cake ever. icon_confused.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

No no no I would so way do this, what'sa matta w/you--like send a picture of the flour & sugar spilt out of the fallen over bags with some broken gooey egg yolks & shells nearby.

A view of the sink loaded with dirty dishes.

A picture of you all sweaty, red-faced and disshelveled relaxing in front of a big fan with a bottle of beer. Another shot of you passed out.

A shot of you tip-toeing into the bakery at Sam's looking over your shoulder to see if anyone notices. icon_biggrin.gif

Sure I could operate in carefully timed photo shoot increments like that.

Maybe a shot of one of the kids pushing the other kid into the cake...y'know encouraging Hallmark moment photos like that.

Picture of a car wreck. icon_biggrin.gif

Picture of a fist fight. icon_biggrin.gif

Relieve angst much, Kate???
Why, thank you, I think I will.

LOL - but you forgot a picture of the cat licking one side of the cake (that just fell on the floor) with the dog lifting his leg on the other side.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%