Faux Fondant (Or "what I Learned About Peanut Butter&qu

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm by Auryn

emiyeric Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 6

So I spent all last week experimenting with peanut butter options for a cake I was making, and came up with a faux fondant recipe. Not great and pliable like a true fondant, more like an alternative to marzipan, but it can be tweaked depending on your needs to model small figurines, as a DELICIOUS filling, or to cover a cake if you're patient enough. Or to just sit there and devour gobs of the stuff before ever getting to the point of using it to decorate icon_smile.gif. So! Not sure it's a big enough deal to put in the recipes section, but I just thought I'd share icon_smile.gif ...

Peanut-Butter Faux Fondant
1 cup honey
1 cup peanut butter, warmed for 10-15 seconds in the microwave (enough to make it runnier, not enough to cook and dry out the edges)
2 cups powdered milk (pulverize in a food processor for a couple of hits if you have a grainier-textured milk, then sift)
1-2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Combine first two ingredients well in a mixer. Slowly add powdered milk, mixing until ingredients are well incorporated, but still a big sticky mess. Stop the mixer, sprinkle powdered sugar onto work surface, and knead mixture, adding more powdered sugar as needed for consistency required. As you knead, grainy texture should soften and finish will become shinier.

Mmmm .... wishing I didn't have to fit into that dress in a few weeks ...

5 replies
lordbuffington Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 6

That sounds delicious! You should definitely put it in the recipes section...I know I will eventually try it one day!

So, are you saying you couldn't cover the cake with it? Do you have any photos?

LeanneW Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 6

that sounds like a great recipe for modeling because it would actually taste good. does it harden up like fondant would?

erinalicia Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 6

almost like the recipes for peanut butter play-dough. I was going to make some for my son to play with since it was safe for him to eat.

jimandmollie Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 6

I have got to try this! Thanks for the recipe!

Auryn Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 6

ohhh that sounds delicious.
yes good question, does it harden at all or stay mushy??

can't you let the kneading hook of the mixer blend it for you for a little??
Im trying to think of ways of avoiding touching the gooey mess

great experimenting

Quote by @%username% on %date%