I Must Have Lost My Mind...

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 3:24am by tastyart

shelbur10 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 11

I must be crazy. I just agreed to make a 2 tier, topsy turvy fondant cake for next Friday.
1. I've done one TT cake, and it was quite unsuccessful icon_surprised.gif
2. I am terrible with fondant and almost never use it icon_redface.gif
3. I have a full time job that will keep me plenty busy all week icon_mad.gif

What was I thinking!! Please say a little cake blessing for me that I can pull this one off! I've given myself a headache and a stomachache already!

10 replies
tastyart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #2 of 11

You know what they say, "Practice makes perfect" Now that you have made one TT you will be ready for the pitfalls and can avoid them. I believe in you, you can do it! Wait, I'm beginning to sound like Tony Little.....Sorry. I'm sure it will be great.

JenniferMI Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:03am
post #3 of 11

Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for you!

Cake angels coming your way....

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

shelbur10 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 11

Thank you for the happy thoughts...I do have one question that I forgot to ask. Can you pipe BC on top of fondant? (maybe a stupid question, but I'm imagining grease stains or something) I'd rather not use RI if I can help it, at least with BC in my piping bag I'll keep one toe in my comfort zone.

tastyart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:41am
post #5 of 11

I've piped BC dots and borders on fondant and it worked just fine. There were no problems. How much piping are you going to do?

shelbur10 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:50am
post #6 of 11

It's quite a lot of piping, big swirls all over the bottom tier. The cake really looks like it would do better in all BC, but I couldn't (nicely) talk my friend out of fondant. (what the hey, right? If I ever want to think about being serious about cakes, I need to start learning...)
I can't decide about the borders, I think if I have a lot of BC piping on the cake, BC borders might match up better than fondant balls or rope. And also might look better based on my limited skillset. icon_lol.gif

tastyart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #7 of 11

I personally don't care for the fondant ball borders. I say go for the BC border.

shelbur10 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:03am
post #8 of 11

Thank for the tips...I'm so relieved I can use my beloved BC!

tastyart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #9 of 11

Will you post pictures when you finish?

shelbur10 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:20am
post #10 of 11

Absolutely! Unless it all goes terribly wrong. icon_rolleyes.gif

tastyart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:24am
post #11 of 11

Don't say such things! It's going to be beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%