Makin Ultimate Clay Gun

Decorating By khkakes Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm by Kimmers971

khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 24

I just got this at Hobby Lobby with this weeks 40% coupon. I LOVE this thing. It is so easy to use and for $15 - ts even better!

23 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 24

No kidding.

Besides all of its normal uses, one of its most valuable uses for me is when I use the smallest of the First Impressions pearl molds (it has 3 sizes of pearls on it) to make pearl-edged bows, I just load the Makin's and use the single-hole insert, and have nice, even snakes of fondant to put in the mold. I really detest rolling out snakes of fondant by hand! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 24

I must have bought the cheap one at Michael's the other week then, cuz thing hurts my hand. I had to quit halfway through making my Poodle leash for the bday cake I posted this morning. Finished rolling out snakes of fondant by hand....turned out ok. Which clay gun did you get again? Can you send me a link to a picture of it??

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 24

Which clay gun did you get - the one where you push the fondant through the extruder (like a syringe) or the one where you twist the knob that pushes it through? I had the push one and HATED it. I ended up getting the one with the twisty thing but haven't used it yet.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 24

Yes, the push one...it's horrible!!

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 24

It was in the Sculpey clay department...I want the twist one apparently!

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 24

Yes please post a picture or a link to the one you are talking about kkhkakes. I need to purchase one for a Mother's Day cake I'm doing. Think clay gun would be more of a time saver than rolling flower stems out by hand.

Cakepro Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 24
kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 24

Okay, now you all are going to c*$p, I finally saw a clay gun in action at a course I was just at and fell in love with it right away. Now, we don't have Hobby Lobby and Michaels, don't carry them, here on the West coast of Canada....
I had to phone Makin's people and find out who sells it here in Canada, and then order on-line, okay, now the kicker, I had to pay in Canadian Dollars $36.48!!!! Postage was $9.75, gun $24.99
Ticked me off to pay so much, but I wanted it and did not forsee me going to the US for a while...grrrrrrrr....
when I open my shop, I am going to find out how to carry these!

Cakepro Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlevalleygirl

when I open my shop, I am going to find out how to carry these!

At the Austin Cake Show in early March, I saw a vendor (can't remember who) that was selling these Makin's Ultimate Clay Extruders in plain packaging. So some cake entrepreneur has gotten smart and is marketing these to cake people. I didn't notice the price though.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 24

newmansmom2004...you'll love it!!

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 24

Oh I am so ordering that...like today!

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 24

I had the syringe one first and killed my hands using it. i got the twisting one and use it ALL the time it is GREAT!!!! I also got mine with a coupon for 50% off...the best purchase I ever made. I would skip so many things if I didn't have it! EVERYONE....GO GET IT IF YOU DON"T HAVE IT!!!!!!! It's the best! thumbs_up.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 24

Oh good - so happy to hear the twisty gun works well - now I'm really excited about using it!! Had gumpaste out earlier today. Guess I should have gotten out my little clay gun and played with it.

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

This is the one: http://www.makinsclay.com/Australia/eng/products/ultimate.htm

Thanks so much for the link, I have printed out the picture and am on my way to the store.

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 24

I'm going to have to order one online. I've been hoping that our Michaels would get them in, but they haven't. They carry all the extra disc packets for it but not the gun itself. Makes sense, huh? icon_confused.gif

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #17 of 24

I ordered mine online since Michael's doesn't carry it anymore. Just google Makin clay gun and you'll find several online stores. Find the one that's cheapest and watch the shipping and handling. That's where some of these places get you. THIS IS A FABULOUS TOOL. It was really worth it. I got mine at Clay Alley on line in just 2 days.

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #18 of 24

I WANT ONE!!! Now I have to decide if I go to Michael's right now or if I can wait until after church tomorrow and get the coupon out of the paper!! I'm not terribly patient! icon_lol.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #19 of 24

floridagal, Michael's is not going to have the one you want. They quit carrying it. And I'm pretty sure it's everywhere, just based on the amount of people who've said they went to their Michael's and they didn't have any...

Hobby Lobby is the place to go, if you have one near you.

floridagal Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #20 of 24

Rats! Thanks for the info. Maybe I should go to Michael's anyway. You know, just to look around at the cake stuff. I certainly wouldn't buy anything icon_rolleyes.gif . I wonder if JoAnn's would have one? Has anyone looked there?

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm
post #21 of 24

I went to hobby lobby website & printed out the 40% off coupon just now, headed to the store now, i need one of these! Thanks for the recommendation icon_smile.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:16pm
post #22 of 24

I'd call the store and ask first - save yourself a trip and aggrevation. I've tried both Michael's & AC Moore here in Monmouth County, NJ and neither carry it. Now I'm checking various sites & EBay!

Good Luck!

floridagal Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #23 of 24

I struck out. I went to JoAnn's and Michaels and neither one had any guns. I did manage to pick up a couple little things though. So it wasn't a wated trip! Now I'll have to order one online. Because I HAVE to have one. I don't think my life will be complete without it. And I'm sure it will take my cake decorating to a whole new level! I'll just have to be sure that the kids keep their play-doh away from it!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melissa

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #24 of 24

I just bought it on E-Bay for $24.99 ($2.95 s/h). Here's the link incase anyone is interested: [url] http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=290310305811[/url]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%