Unusual Cake Stand Idea Help Please

Decorating By Ariginal Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 12:31am by Ariginal

Ariginal Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, i have a really neat cake to make next month and in fact i am really looking forward to it my problem is trying to come up with a cake stand for the cake....

i need it to have only a centre rod/dowell as this is going to represent a dancers pole and it will need to hold a top cake of 6" round... i am not sure on how to contruct it to make sure it holds the cake.. see rough diagram below..

I hope someone can help . thanks in advance.
LL

9 replies
Doug Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 10

3/4 in plywood base.

center hole drilled 1/2" deep, diameter of dowel -- suggest at least 1"

predrill hole in base and in dowel to accept a screw

dowel into base w/ wood glue and screw -- suggest "fender washer" on screw on bottom of base for largest area of support.

then at top -- masonite -- screwed to dowel (or if really worried do same as base only smaller round of plywood.
LL

GayeG Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 10

Wow Doug! Your idea is amazing! O I wish I had that creative streak! I do good to change my own tire!! Will you marry me?? icon_wink.gif

Happy Birthday (almost) BTW!

emiyeric Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 10

Okay, so here's a stupid question, but I haven't done a cake with a special stand yet and am planning on it as well. When the cake plate has a dowel screwed in the middle like this, with another atop, at what point do you mount the cake itself on the stand? Do you lower the fully-torted/stacked tier onto the dowel and set it down on the base like that? Or do you put the cake on the plate first, THEN stick the dowel down the middle?

I'm sorry to hijack this thread! I just wonder about the mechanics of these trickier stands ...

Doug Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Do you lower the fully-torted/stacked tier onto the dowel and set it down on the base like that?

yes.. this method requires you to precut a hole in both the board and cake...

just like using Wilton's tall tier stand..
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30BB93-475A-BAC0-52555DC793C1FEC1&fid=3E33109F-475A-BAC0-514197B5E889D67F

which could be used for this, if you wanted to spend the money on it.

emiyeric Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 10

Gotcha! I'm always marveling at your stand ideas, Doug. I plan on expanding my horizons to include some of them in months to come icon_smile.gif.

Thanks, guys!

Ariginal Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

3/4 in plywood base.

center hole drilled 1/2" deep, diameter of dowel -- suggest at least 1"

predrill hole in base and in dowel to accept a screw

dowel into base w/ wood glue and screw -- suggest "fender washer" on screw on bottom of base for largest area of support.

then at top -- masonite -- screwed to dowel (or if really worried do same as base only smaller round of plywood.

wow thanks so much doug,, i have seen you help so many people out before with your wonderful ideas.. now i shall get my hubby onto it hehehe..

Ariginal Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:14am
post #8 of 10

Happy Birthday (almost) BTW![/quote]

Well here it is your birthday Doug so from the other side of the world have a happy birthday even if its early for you hehehe... as its 1.14pm sat 18th april right now...

Tee-Y Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 10

Doug, you have done it again ,WELLDONE and thank you so much for the enlightenment! thumbs_up.gif .

Ariginal Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #10 of 10

BIG thanks to you doug... just thought i would show a picture of what we came up with in the end.. as our mdf board wasnt as thick as you suggested doug we compromised ie the two base boards except the top one is the exact size of the cake and will be hidden so will give the illusion of the normal cake boards i use hehe like the top and the board for the top cake which is seperate... i will post a pic in my pictures of my finished cake once all done showing how the stand looked and worked.. so again THANKS SO MUCH TO YOU DOUG!!!!! you are an inspiration to us all.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%