Gumpaste Roses Vs Fondant Roses Or A Combination Of Both?

Decorating By dulceleche Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm by dulceleche

dulceleche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulceleche Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!!
I want to make some roses and leaves. I am confused with what to use. Should I use fondant, gumpaste or a combination of both? What is the difference?

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 4

I have used each at different times. The all gp is the most real looking as you can roll the paste thinner.
It depends on how fast you can work. All gp dries out fast so you have to work really quick. A combination will slow down the drying so you can have a bit more time to make each rose. HTH

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:28am
post #3 of 4

here is an article from

http://www.shopbakersnook. com

since i am having issues with the darn link icon_mad.gif

"What is the Difference between Fondant and Gum Paste?

Many people want to know what the difference is between fondant and gum paste.

The simple answer is that you use fondant to cover a cake and you use gum paste to make flowers and bows.

As with anything in life it is not necessarily that cut and dry.

You can use fondant to make flowers and bows, but they do not dry quite as hard as they do out of gum paste. You can make your fondant act more like gum paste by kneeding in about a cup of gum paste mix into a pound of rolled fondant. This will make it dry harder than it would normally.

I prefer to make my flowers out of gum paste for 2 reasons. The first is you can roll the gum paste thinner, so your flowers have a more realistic look to them. The second is that they dry better, especially in humid weather, so you don't have to worry about the petals going limp on you.

You never want to cover your cake in gum paste. This is never its intended use.

So I usually follow this rule of thumb, cover my cake in fondant and use fondant as an edible ribbon around the base of a cake. For my flowers and bows, gum paste is your safest option, especially in humid weather."

dulceleche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulceleche Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks a lot!! I was confused since in the Wilton course they teach fondant roses and then other flowers are done with gumpaste.
Now I have a more clear idea icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%