Hating Fondant Right Now!!! (Long)

Decorating By Creative_chika Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm by JenniferMI

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, today I get up early to decorate a cake I made last night for my co-workers daugther birthday. It was free. But, thats not the point. I tried rolled fondant, MMF, and I had fondant stashed from the last cake I made... None worked!!!! It kept tearing and was almost unrollable... IDK. I added PS, I tried everything I've learned... Guess I haven't learned much...I dont like using buttercream, and I ended up using buttercream, becuase for some reason, one of the three batches I tried to use worked!!!! I'm so fustrated because the cake isn't even close to what it suposed to look like. I'm a perfectionist, and I HATE the way the cake looks. But I still had to give it to him because I couldn't leave him cakeless... I guess I'm not prepared for this field yet.... Thought about quiting, but I guess that would be stupid on my behalf... Thanks for listening!!! icon_cry.gif Then I have a lady wanting me to do her wedding cake.... icon_cry.gif

9 replies
khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 10

I love that cake. It is very cute.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 10

What do you mean you want to quit,the cake was nice.Sounds like you fonbdant was too dry.I usually throw mine in the microwave for like 10 secs to soften it.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 10

I'm sorry you had a rough time with it! I used to just hate working with it, it scared me for some reason. Now that I'm learning more and more about it, its not so bad. One thing I learned is that when you add powdered sugar, it will tend to dry the fondant out so that it will crack, tear and get elephant skin. What I do is keep adding little bits of shortening, rubbed into my hands and I just keep kneading it until it feels really elastic and smooth. Also, the longer you let it sit out it will get dryer and dryer. A cold room playes a part in it also. Lots to think about but don't despair! Just keep trying and learning!

myhannahbananas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myhannahbananas Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 10

use corn startch to roll it out, it won't dry. I always spray my cake at the end with Pam, or paint it with Pam, everone oos and awes at that, it will never look dry that way. In fact my Elmo cake (posted) sat outside in 35 degrees for 2 hours and the wind was about 30mph the whole time, The cake never tasted better!! Look at it, like a big toy! I am only self taught from you tube LOL and only have about 7 cakes under my belt, if I can do them as good as I have then so can you!!!

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:42am
post #6 of 10

Thanks... Today I did add shortening, and I rolled it out with cornstarch, since that didnt work I tried ps.
Its been like two weeks since I've made a cake, maybe I just lost the touch because I haven't practiced....

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #7 of 10

Please trust me on this..... all fondants are NOT alike. You need to find one that performs good and tastes good. I only use chocolate fondant. LOVE LOVE it! No cracking..... no sagging... tastes awesome....

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

SilCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilCakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 10

Creative_chika, i soooooooo relate to what you said...

Today i've made 2 cakes which almost made me cry in despair!!! jee... when am i gonna learn this?? it looks so easy on you tube...

but we MUST NOT give up!!!

icon_lol.gif

Silvia

myhannahbananas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myhannahbananas Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 10

I learned by watching a couple you tube videos. I've made 10 cakes now, you can do it!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 10

Fondant doesn't have to be difficult and doesn't have to taste bad. Trust me on this... It's just intimadating I think. But once you get the few, EASY steps...well...it's a piece of cake!! icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%