Wire For Suspending Objects?

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 4:41pm by pebblez87

pebblez87 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 6

what kind and or gauge do you find is the best to use i dont have a real heavy topper but i would like ample support where do you guys find it and whats a good gauge?

5 replies
kingofcakes2 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 6

Any hardware store

pebblez87 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 6

do i use copper wire or just stainless steel or is there something else

KarenOR Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 6

I've heard never to actually put wire in the cake. I think a lot of people slip straws in to hold the wire. Some may wrap it in saran first.
I use 24g for my beaded barrettes and I think it would be too flimsy to hold up anything substantial. So, probably thicker than that.

brincess_b Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:19am
post #5 of 6

it is florists wire, i believe you can get it in micheles... i dont know. ordering on line means you have a much better selection. most people use a 16-24 guage wire. (thicker wire = lower number) so if you want it standing straigt, get something like the 16.
i used a 24 guage for my celebration cupcakes with fondant stars.

pebblez87 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 6

see thats what i thought i went to michaels and he said they dont sell floral wire because all flowers are already wired up only florists know where to get them because they use with fresh flowers blah blah blah grrrrr but i couldnt find any maybe my michaels sucks

Quote by @%username% on %date%