Cc'ers I Need Your Expertise Fast...cake Due Tomorrow.

Decorating By Chippi Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm by FromScratch

Chippi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 10

I am going to put this on top of a 50's theme cake. The gold records are almost dry and I am going to attach them together as they look and of course the lettering. My question is how am I gonna stand this up on the cake? any clues? I am using Mandott's theme and I left her a message on flickr but I cannot find it. Thanks everyone for your time.

Chippi icon_smile.gif
LL

9 replies
Cakepro Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 10

Use royal icing or (for more immediate use) candy melts to glue two bamboo skewers or lollipop sticks on the back of the dried piece. You can insert these food-safe items into the cake. icon_smile.gif

crystalina1977 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 10

can you attach two skewers to the back with melting chocolate? one in the middle of each of the bottom two records.

Chippi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Use royal icing or (for more immediate use) candy melts to glue two bamboo skewers or lollipop sticks on the back of the dried piece. You can insert these food-safe items into the cake. icon_smile.gif

Will RI hold better than candy melts? I can do either and THANKS I thought of the skewers but was unsure how to affix them. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 10

Either will work just fine. It just depends on how long you have before you need it to be used. I let the RI dry for a couple of hours.

pinkflower1212 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 10

Once the records are dry flip it over and use RI and either popcicle or lollipop sticks and attcach to the back. When icing dries, you will be good to go. Just insert the sticks into the cake - just make sure that there is enough stick in the cake so that the weight of the records don't cause it fall forward and ruin the top of the cake. Hope this helps!

FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 10

Oh that's too cute!! Is it made of candy melts? It looks shiney so that's what I am thinking. If so just use some leftover candy melts to attach 2 sharpened dowels to the back. Make them long enough to go to the cake board and that should be more than enough to keep it upright. icon_smile.gif

Chippi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 10

Great! Thanks you guys! CC'ers rockkkkkkkk! Have a great weekend!

Chippi icon_biggrin.gif

Chippi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Oh that's too cute!! Is it made of candy melts? It looks shiney so that's what I am thinking. If so just use some leftover candy melts to attach 2 sharpened dowels to the back. Make them long enough to go to the cake board and that should be more than enough to keep it upright. icon_smile.gif

No its MMF/gumpaste colored deep yellow (forgot the name) then dusted w/ gold luster dust. icon_smile.gif Thank you.

Chippi

FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 10

Ahhhhh... it was the luster that made it look shiney. If it's GP/MMF I'd use royal icing. It takes a little longer to set up, but it sets up rock hard. Candy melts might break if it's not thick enough. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%