Bc Looks And Feels Like Sand!!!!!

Decorating By Momkiksbutt Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 5:15am by sugarshack

Momkiksbutt Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 8

HELP!!!!! This has never happened to me before!! The only BC I use is Sharon's BC recipe...it's perfect and never fails me....except today!!

I made it up, and the more sugar I add the grainier it is and the "greasier" it looks!! What the heck happened??? Anyone got any ideas???

I need help quick the cake is due this afternoon!!!

Note: I used Wal-mart brand shortening and I used my normal professional grade confectioners sugar. I also used a store brand coffee creamer.....could that be the issue? I did note that the shortening looked sort of like it had been melted and then re-solidified when I opened the can......

HELP>>>I can't use this mess!!!

7 replies
Momkiksbutt Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 8

Please anyone!!

BakeLoveMom Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 8

It doesnt sound like that batch is able to be saved...I hate to say it, but just start a new batch, maybe with better shortening. Store brand may not be vegetable only...you have to check that. I always use crisco unless I can find store brand 100% solid vegetable. Also, when using powdered sugar I only use 10x Domino's or Kroger brand if you have one of those. Sorry, hope that helps.

Sarah

cricket0616 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 8

I wish I could help, but I have not ran into this problem before.

Copacabanya Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 8

The only time I have ever had Sharon's recipe get gritty on me is when I added too much of the coffee creamer and used the lowfat Coffeemate by mistake. So maybe it really is the offbrand creamer causing the problem.

Momkiksbutt Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 8

Hmmm.......I hadn't thought of that...I'll check...Thanks ladies....luckily it's my daughters' cake, for her party today, so it's mostly ok... I can still use it, and hopefully the little girls won't notice, but still!!!

This is a very weird problem!!!

Momkiksbutt Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 8

Hmmm.......I hadn't thought of that...I'll check...Thanks ladies....luckily it's my daughters' cake, for her party today, so it's mostly ok... I can still use it, and hopefully the little girls won't notice, but still!!!

This is a very weird problem!!!

sugarshack Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:15am
post #8 of 8

only time i got gritty icing was a bad batch of PS... and even the best brands get gritty batches from time to time. I also wonder about the shortening since you said it looked funny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%