How Do You Do Cakes With Morning Sickness?

Lounge By mommapaul3 Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm by mommapaul3

mommapaul3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommapaul3 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 9

I just found out I'm expecting again and the morning sickness is really starting to kick in (I HATE this part of pregnancy). I'm doing BIL's wedding cake in less than a month and just the thought of baking cakes and making frosting and flowers and decorating and the whole process just makes me want to loose it (if you know what I mean) tapedshut.gif . I really really don't want to do this now, but I really don't have much choice. icon_cry.gif

8 replies
cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 9

Most of the posts I've seen say that they DON'T... unless they own a cake business and have no choice. lol.

Good luck with your pregnancy. icon_smile.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 9

i'm in the same boat as you! i smell everything super well, and it makes my stomach roll!!!

however, i thank god for every day of sickness that i have, because that means the pregnancy is still real...after two miscarriages, i feel blessed to have just one more day with this little miracle!!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #4 of 9

Gatorade helped me with morning sickness, and I was sick as a dog. Maybe you could arrange it so that you could do the majority of work during a time of day that you aren't as nauseated. Good luck!

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:14am
post #5 of 9

I feel your pain! I'm about 9 weeks in myself, and smells just make my stomach roll. In fact the cake I did for easter ended up with no flowers on it at all cause the smell just got TOO sweet for me to be around anymore. I sprinkled some M&M's on top and called it good. Not one of my better cake moments, but hopefully it will pass soon. I wish you all hte best on your pregnancy!!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #6 of 9

reading all this makes me glad i'm almost done... lol!

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #7 of 9

Congrats to those of you who are expecting! Morning sickness is not fun. I can still remember exactly what I ate for dinner when morning sickness kicked in for the first time with both my pregnancies. I don't want to eat those meals ever again!

Have you ever tried the preggie-pops (some are on a stick, some just hard candies)? I got them at Babies R Us and they actually helped calm my morning sickness. When I would feel really bad, I'd sit down and suck on one until I felt better.

Good luck with the wedding cake!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #8 of 9

It seems to me that in prior discussions of this subject, some expectant moms had some relief by wearing those masks/filters for allergies.

I tried to find one of those threads but didn't have any luck, so I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

mommapaul3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommapaul3 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for all the advise and well wishes.

My MIL will be up a week before the wedding and said she'd be willing to help with the baking and making frosting so I would just have to deal with the decorating, so maybe that will work.

My last pregnancy I took to wearing a bandana around my neck and looping it over my nose whenever I went into the kitchen, so maybe I'll do that too when the time comes. Maybe I'll get those pops to suck on while I'm working too. This is my fourth time around, so I've tried just about everything and found that different things work with different pregnancies - no two alike, so wish me luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%