Wedding Cake "schedule Of Events"

Decorating By csvess Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 10:16am by newnancy

csvess Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 19

I will soon be working on my first wedding cake (which I swore I would never do, but my cousin talked me into it). The wedding is next Saturday.

What I need to know is this, when should I do what? I have never done anything this size. It's 5 tiers for 250 people...iced and decorated in buttercream. It will be constructed at the reception venue. When should I plan on baking, making icing, decorating, etc? How early is too early?

I think I'm getting nervous and it's getting obvious the more I ramble. Am I making any sense? I just want to make sure I'm giving myself plenty of time.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

18 replies
Limpy Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 19

What I need to know is this, when should I do what? I have never done anything this size. It's 5 tiers for 250 people...iced and decorated in buttercream. It will be constructed at the reception venue. When should I plan on baking, making icing, decorating, etc? How early is too early

Here is my schedule. Bake cakes on Wednesday. Allow to settle overnight. Torte,fill, crumbcoat on Thursday. Finish decorating on Friday. With 5 tiers, you may want to consider baking cakes ahead & freezing (cool, wrap in freezer paper, then in foil). Bring out night before. Leave covered till all condensation is gone & then continue. You can of course make your fillings & buttercream up to a week before & keep in the fridge. Let me know how you make out.

bethola Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpy

What I need to know is this, when should I do what? I have never done anything this size. It's 5 tiers for 250 people...iced and decorated in buttercream. It will be constructed at the reception venue. When should I plan on baking, making icing, decorating, etc? How early is too early

Here is my schedule. Bake cakes on Wednesday. Allow to settle overnight. Torte,fill, crumbcoat on Thursday. Finish decorating on Friday. With 5 tiers, you may want to consider baking cakes ahead & freezing (cool, wrap in freezer paper, then in foil). Bring out night before. Leave covered till all condensation is gone & then continue. You can of course make your fillings & buttercream up to a week before & keep in the fridge. Let me know how you make out.

This is pretty much MY schedule as well, with the exception that SOMETIMES since Monday is my day off I bake on Monday and Freeze until Wed. then take out. I agree to make the buttercream and any decorations you can NOW! That will save a ton of time next week!

Good Luck!

Beth in KY

newnancy Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 19

Bake NOW........I'm doing the same size cake for my nieces wedding (I got talked into it also) & I have already put my cakes in the freezer & the wedding isn't til May 2nd. Make sure you have enought of everything: boards, support system for the tiers, icing ingredients (it takes a lot for that size cake) fillings, etc... If you start now you might now be so freaked out, maybe.....I am pretty organized but I will still freak out when it comes to actually icing it SMOOTH (yuk) & decorating. Good Luck, you can do it.....just remember you will be your worst critic, everyone else will think it's wonderful (I just have to keep that in my mind to keep me calmed down) HTH

csvess Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 19

This is all EXTREMELY helpful. I do plan on baking the cakes this weekend, so I can get as much done early as possible (did I mention I have a 4 year old and 2 year old to work around?).

I was just wondering about freezer paper. I've never heard of it. Is that something I can find at the grocery store or Wal-mart?

tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 19

I also make up my boxes and prepare my boards ahead of time. Anything that I can do in advance I do. When freezing I wrap in 2 layers of saran then foil, I've never used freezer paper and they come out fine.

Shelly4481 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 19

Yes freezer paper is at most stores and walmart. It is large white shiney paper. Bought in the same area as saran wrap, baggies etc. I don't use it to freeze my cakes, I just use saran wrap. Wrap and stick in freezer. You wont be able to stack them on top of each other till they are frozen. I will do two cakes one evening stick in freezer, then next night do a few more an just put them in on top of them. Otherwise they will smash each other if you try to put them in freezer on top of each other. While they are still soft. Depends on your freezer I have three shelves. Hope this makes sense.

csvess Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 19

Do you all cool your cakes completely before wrapping and freezing?

cricket0616 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 19

yes, you can find freezer paper on the isle with foil, parchment, etc. (at Walmart)

mcdonald Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 19

I freeze my cakes all the time.... never use freezer paper. I wrap mine in syran wrap and foil. I put them in the freezer still warm. Lots of talk about if that's okay or not... I have not had any problems.

csvess Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 19

I cannot thank you ladies enough for your help. It's so nice and reassuring to have a place to go to get expert advice as I'm "learning the ropes" of cake decorating. THANKS!!!!

csvess Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #12 of 19

I cannot thank you ladies enough for your help. It's so nice and reassuring to have a place to go to get expert advice as I'm "learning the ropes" of cake decorating. THANKS!!!!

xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #13 of 19

I also wrap with several layers of saran wrap then cover with heavy duty foil. Bake as soon as you can, make icing as soon as you can, if your covering in fondant and making homemade fondant make that now as well. I would level (if needed) and fill the cakes on Thursday and ice and decorate on Friday, of course you'll want to make sure your cakes have defrosted before you do any of this. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great! icon_smile.gif

newnancy Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #14 of 19

??? I'm making Indydebi's buttercream....how far in advance can I make it, anybody know?

xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnancy

??? I'm making Indydebi's buttercream....how far in advance can I make it, anybody know?

You can make it now if you like. Here is some more info (Indydebi answered this ? herself):

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584214-shelf.html+life+buttercream

newnancy Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:24am
post #16 of 19

XSTITCHER,

THANKS! Just what I needed. I have my nieces wedding cake for May 2nd, 2 weeks, & really wanted to do everything as far ahead as I could so I don't stroke out in the end. I'll start on this tomorrow.

newnancy Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:28am
post #17 of 19

??? another? Do you know the recipe "Fudge Filling" by fragglerock1 in the recipe section? I know I can't make it this soon, but does it have to be refrigerated or can it stay out for a few days?

xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #18 of 19

I'm not familiar with that recipe so don't want to steer u wrong....What I would suggest is that you pm the owner of the recipe and ask them directly.

Good luck with the cake! thumbs_up.gif

newnancy Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:16am
post #19 of 19

Thanks, I did try that just haven't heard anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%