Five Favorite Books

Lounge By Kpow Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 12:11am by tamarawagner99

annez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annez Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:47am
post #31 of 39

Can I join in?

Like others have said, it's hard to narrow it down, but I love Jamie Langston Turner's books and Michael Phillips' Secret of the Rose series. Jane Eyre & To Kill a Mockingbird are in there too.

I'm a sucker for kids books also...there are too many "classics" to list there.... BUT- If you have a preschooler and you've never read Mo Willems' pigeon books, you're missing out. icon_wink.gif

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:40am
post #32 of 39

it's really hard to narrow it down to five books,
i can think of atleast 8 stephen king books that are my fav's

It
The Stand
Duma key
Lizzie's Story
Desperation&Regulators
(could go on forever)
okay now for the not stephen king stories

Oh The Places You'll Go. Dr. Seuss
Harry Potter series J.K. Rowlings
Catcher In The Rye J.D. Salinger
A Tree Grows In Brooklynn Betty Smith
Interview With a Vampire Ann Rice, (the whole series luv em)

I also love the golden compass, the lion witch and wardrobe,
the secret garden, the color purple, oh on and on i could go!! the canaterbury tales, a tale of two cities, somebody stop me please

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:47am
post #33 of 39

I LOVE Oh the Places You'll Go. I have given that to several teenagers that had never seen it, and at first they gave me a funny look, but then got into it. : )

I am an avid reader, but not nearly so organized as Indy. Only my 600 or so cookbooks are organized beyond a rudimentary level, mainly because my 16 year old son is as big a bookworm as my dh and I, and he scavenges through our books and fails to put them back in the right place. After several years of this, I just gave up.

I would have a hard time picking five books, but maybe five authors/series:

Harry Potter
David and Leigh Eddings (Belgariad/Malloreon/Ellenium/Tamuli series)
Tamora Pierce
Patricia Cornwell
Jonathan Kellerman

Guilty pleasures: Diane Mott Davidson, Tamar Myers

mo_like_it Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_like_it Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #34 of 39

I love to read too, and narrowing it down to 5 is hard. So, I'll name a few of the favorites...To Kill a Mockingbird, A Thousand Splendid Suns, I Know This Much is True, Grapes of Wrath, Let Me Hold You Longer (a children's book, sort of).

My favorite, most recent read is from a new author, called The Killing Tree, by Rachel Keener. I HIGHLY reccomend it!!! thumbs_up.gif She has another book coming out soon, called The Memory Theif, which I'm looking forward to as well. It takes me forever to get through a book these days, with 2 preschoolers, but I still get in some reading time, in spurts! icon_razz.gif

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:50am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

I LOVE Oh the Places You'll Go. I have given that to several teenagers that had never seen it, and at first they gave me a funny look, but then got into it. : )

I am an avid reader, but not nearly so organized as Indy. Only my 600 or so cookbooks are organized beyond a rudimentary level, mainly because my 16 year old son is as big a bookworm as my dh and I, and he scavenges through our books and fails to put them back in the right place. After several years of this, I just gave up.

I would have a hard time picking five books, but maybe five authors/series:

Harry Potter
David and Leigh Eddings (Belgariad/Malloreon/Ellenium/Tamuli series)
Tamora Pierce
Patricia Cornwell
Jonathan Kellerman

Guilty pleasures: Diane Mott Davidson, Tamar Myers

that was the very first book i bought for my son when he was born,
(oh the places you'll go)
it's a great book , with a great message for all ages, i'm glad i'm not the only person (who's out of pre school, that thinks soo)...

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:28am
post #36 of 39

Hi annez ~ I have and have read all of Jamie Langston Turner's books. She's an amazing author. But my favorite is Some Wildflower In My Heart. Every couple years I re-read it, and love it all the more! Hmm.... After I finish Beautiful Boy, I think I might just have to read it again! icon_smile.gif

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #37 of 39

At the moment I have a top two:

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan--Lisa See
Peony in Love--Lisa See

I read the second one a year ago and fell absolutely in love. So when I found out she had a previous book, I picked it up. I'm only half-way through and can tell it is just as amazing as the other one. They are about 16th and 19th century China from a woman's perspective. In each story, she follows the life of a woman and her trials. It is so interesting and I've learned a lot, but it's also an enchanting story. I'm simply obsessed at this point.

Other than those, I love the Twilight books (not obsessed though lol) and have red every Stephen King. I blame the latter on my mom. I think she'd marry Mr. King if she could, so I had to see what all the fuss was about.

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:05am
post #38 of 39

I am totally addicted to anything by Diana Gabaldon (The Outlander series) and Jane Austen, it is too hard to pick just 5 books

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:11am
post #39 of 39

Oh, so hard to narrow it to five...I read so much stuff. I'm not a speed reader like Indy, but if I'm hooked I get through a book pretty quickly!

First of all, let me say that, I'm sad to say after reading so many SK books that I've never read Bag of Bones. I will check it out from the library right away! I also loved Dean Koontz - just loved scary, weird stuff. Dark Rivers of the Heart - can't remember if I read it or not. What was his book of short stories? Was that it?

Other favorite authors Carl Hiaasen & Stuart Woods (for good guys-type stuff). Sophie Kinsella - I really loved her book The Undomestic Goddess the most. I love chick lit books. Jennifer Weiner is awesome for that kind of stuff too. And Karen Quinn is another of my favorites: Holly Would Dream and The Ivy Chronicles were so fun. Jodi Piccoult is another...I could go on and on. And on. So I'll stop.

I'll try to narrow it down:
1. To Kill a Mockingbird - love the book, love the movie, love it!
2. Oh, the places you'll go! I give it to everyone who graduates from anywhere at any age. I received my first copies when I finally graduated from college at 31.
3. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - I read this book about 17 years before Oprah plugged it and put it in her book club. Epic! I was about 17, in fact, when I read it and I remember telling my grandma to read it because it was the best book I had ever read. She remembered me telling her that too when we discussed that Oprah was putting it in her club.
4. The Stand - again, Epic! I read it later that summer after Pillars. It's also when I read Misery (another fun, scary one - but not a top fiver).
5. Il Postino (The Postman) - romantic, poetic, beautiful. After Pablo Neruda's poetry.

I also love memoirs and non-fiction stuff a LOT. I could be here all day...

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%