Scroll Work On Cakes

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 4:57am by __Jamie__

sandy1 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 6

I need to do scroll work on a cake and was wondering if there are any helpful hints how to get nice, rounded, symmetrical scrolls??? Should I add piping gel to the buttercream to help the icing stick to the sides of the cake? Would you suggest I lightly freehand a tracing with a toothpick? Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

5 replies
Alice1230 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 6

royal icing scrolls always look pretty and I think tracing with toothpick would be just fine it it would make you more comfortable. Good luck

Marmette Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 6

yes i would definitely suggest you trace your scroll work onto your cake with a toothpick. it will give you better control and also you can see a little bit of what it would look like before you actually finish.
Good luck with it.

tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 6

Wilton also has a scroll press set that you can use to put the design on with then pipe over it. Here's a link if you want to see it

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #5 of 6

God help anyone who orders a cake with scroll work from this woman. My hands just are not that steady.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:57am
post #6 of 6

I couldn't do scrolls 2 weeks ago, just did one last weekend, in my pics...freehand. Steady hand, turntable, and keep the tip o the surface of the icing. If you pull your top away, your scroll is going to fall and look crooked. Helps to have chilled cake too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%