Mff For The First Time.. Questions :)

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm by sweet_teeth

sweet_teeth Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 12

I was supposed to make MFF last night and completely ran out of time. I need to cover a cake by tonight. On the recipe it states to let it rest at least 1 day -- so my question is:

Has anyone made it and used it shortly after? Did you notice a big difference in the texture/workability.

Thanks guys!

11 replies
ddaigle Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 12

I have made MMF and used immeditately. Did not have any issues or wished I would've waited...and also not an experienced fondant user.

goldenegg Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 12

I've actually never let mine rest for a whole day lol, so I can't really compare but I haven't had any noticeable problems with using it same day. Hope that helps.

pastryjen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 12

Let it cool to room temp and you should be fine.

Mom23girls Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 12

Michelle Foster says that it needs to rest at least 6-8 hours, not 24 like the recipe states. I haven't had a chance to make it yet, so I can't say I've tried it... Good luck though icon_smile.gif

doreenre Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 12

I usually only let mine rest 30 minutes. My recipe only calls for mm's and powdered sugar, so it may be different from M. Foster's.

Has worked fine for me!

sweet_teeth Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 12

Wow thanks for all the responses icon_smile.gif

One more question.. do you know how much it makes? I'm covering a 9inch and a 6 inch cake w/it.

Thanks again all!

gerripje Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 12

When I make MFF, it tends to be a little soft right after making it, but I still have to add more PS, so it wouldn't make a difference I guess!! HTH!!

pastryjen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

One more question.. do you know how much it makes? I'm covering a 9inch and a 6 inch cake w/it.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/Fondantchart.html

sweet_teeth Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 12

gerripje-- I'm glad you said that. Mine is SUPER soft.. and i've added almost 4 pounds opposed to the 3.5. I'm hoping it firms up a bit!

myhannahbananas Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

http://www.earlenescakes.com/Fondantchart.html

If you have 2 bags of MM ad 2 bags f sugar you'll have more than enouh!
I actually made another cake today and didn't let he MMF rest at all, and I put it on a frozen cake. It did great!!

sweet_teeth Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #12 of 12

myhannahbananas: welcome to the forums! Thanks for the tip but I'm using Michele Fosters Fondant, opposed to Marshmallow Fondant... and it's WAY too soft right now to say the least icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%