Dummy Cakes

Decorating By susaneholcomb Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm by SHogg

susaneholcomb Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am jsut starting my cake business and in the process of making several dummy cakes for display and to build my picutre base on my website.

Any suggestions of donts when doing this. Dou you use the same ingredients as normal? How long will the cakes look good? I currently make my own fondant out of marshmellows, should I use store bought for the dummies?

Any suggestions to make them last longer and not get that old cracking look would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Susan

4 replies
Ballymena Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 5

I spray my demo cakes with a few light coats of clear satin varathane. Any fondant will work though I like the Wilton for these cakes with some gum tex added so the fondant dries very hard, make sure it is dried rock solid dry before you spray it. The spray allows you to dust the cakes or even wipe them using a slightly damp cloth.

sew4children Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 5

I haven't graduated up to fondant, yet! Can you decorate with buttercream and then spray?

SHogg Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 5

I know there is a product called Permaice that looks like buttercream but it is non-edible and dries hard and lasts forever. So that you can do dummy buttercream cakes with out the buttercream spoiling. I believe Permaice is available at Sugarcraft. Here's the link:

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/wedding/Wfakecakes.htm

SHogg Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 5

Sorry! I had no idea that would be blocked. Just do a Google search for Perma-Ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%