What Was Your Most Important Buy?

Decorating By amyscuppycakes Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm by sares

amyscuppycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyscuppycakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 49

As I'm still quite new to all of this and extremely nervous about buying the wrong stuff or making a wrong step I was just wondering what all of you considered your most important buy?

Was it a book that inspired you? A cookie cutter you can't live without? Colours or sprinkles that you add to everything? What is in your tool set that you couldn't live without?

Mine would be my silicone baking cups, Kathy Moore's book and my angled spatula.

I haven't got a lot of decorating stuff yet so don't have lots to choose from. icon_confused.gif

48 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 49

My turntable. I got a good wooden one from the local party store, paid a little more for it but its invaluable to me.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 49

My KA mixer and Fat Dadio Turntable are at the top of the list.

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 49

My Kitchen Aid Mixer. It's the best invention ever created I think. Sure saves me time and work. icon_lol.gif

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 49

KA and for weddings the Stress free cake supports with different length legs. Love them.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 49

My kenwood mixer,turntable,angled spatula and disco dustsssssssssssssssssssssssss and more dusts.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 49

My KA mixer, and my turntable. Now that I have a collection of tips, I couldn't live without my little organiser where I store them: it's from WalMart, has about 40 little drawers, and is GREAT for storing all the little tools you can't live without. (I think it's actually supposed to be used to store screws & stuff, but it works for me!)

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 49

Sugarshack's DVDs and a Kitchen Aid

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 49

I would have to say my Agbay cake leveler. I waited for a couple of yrs. before I could afford it, but I've done about 8 cakes and it is just the best. It's worth waiting and saving up for. Also- my Kitchen Aid.

Melissa

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 49

Hands down my Kitchen Aid mixer was my most important buy!! Worth every penny!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 49

My kitchen aid mixers and agbay deluxe definitely! I'm nothing without my kitchen aid mixer!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #12 of 49

My KA Pro 6qt mixer and my turntable.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme_K

Now that I have a collection of tips, I couldn't live without my little organiser where I store them: it's from WalMart, has about 40 little drawers, and is GREAT for storing all the little tools you can't live without. (I think it's actually supposed to be used to store screws & stuff, but it works for me!)

I got one of these also, hubby thought I bought it for his work truck & came home the next day shocked I would put that "cake junk" in it, lol. It's my new favorite thing!!!!!

I also love my shoebox containers, I have everything stored & organized in them finally!!!

Cocoby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocoby Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 49

Definitely my adorable silver Kitchen Aid. I can't live without it!!! Thanks to my hubby!!!

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #15 of 49

Taking the Wilton Masters Course and Colette Peter Gum Paste/&/ Topsy Turvy Cake Course (also at Wilton), although I don't do cakes for a living and plan a different direction, these courses are fabulous, not only did I learn lots, I have met the most wonderful people from all over the world, and some are CC'ers!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #16 of 49

Agbay. Totally the best.

Magic Line pans.

20 qt Hobart.

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:03am
post #17 of 49

I have to agree it was my Kitchen Aid ( I was lucky mine was a gift, I felt like a princess)

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:21am
post #18 of 49

My KitchenAid mixer, magic line turntable and pans, Dexter spatulas (can't use any other brand), decorating tips #10 and #104. I could get by with only those items and decorate all day.

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:29am
post #19 of 49

My KitchenAid and my 7 qrt Cuisinart mixer!! Love them both! Also the big peg board my hubby brought home for me to hang my 500+ cookie cutters on. Now it's so east to find all of them.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:41am
post #20 of 49

My 7 qrt. cuisinart. magic line spatula and my
Magic Line Pans. thumbs_up.gif

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:25am
post #21 of 49

My gia[nt]-noramous cuisinart (thanks mom!) and Fat Daddios pans & my dinky wilton leveler & turntable.

I would buy: A better leveler & turntable lol

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:58pm
post #22 of 49

sugarshack DVD's, bench scraper, viva paper towels, silicone mat for rolling out fondant and gel paste colors icon_smile.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #23 of 49

1/ My KA mixer - which was a gift from DH, but I picked out!
2/ My Wilton 8 pack colouring pastes
3/ An extra stainless steel mixing bowl for the KA
4/ 6 pack Linzer cutters which are actually cookie cutters, but I use them for small decorative pieces and have used at least one for every cake I've made since I bought them

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #24 of 49

#1 parchment paper ... LMAO but seriously - it is the BEST value for the money spent - I'm kind of kidding because it's such a strange item to say, but holy crap -- it's saved my tush innumerable times icon_smile.gif

#2 New Kitchenaid Mixer in addition to the hand-me-down one from Mum -- the extra bowl, whisk and beater make life a dream !!

#3 Dollar Store plastic cutting mats, 2 to a package. I cut them with my paper cutter into smaller sections (varying in size) to;
-have innumerable table scrapers (fantastic for ridding the table of scraps),
-use them as icing tools,
-fondant marking & cutting,
-pick up the dough around the cutout sugar cookies,
-transfer the sugar cookie from table to sheet,
-huse as placemats for the kids,
-and use them as cutting mats, of course.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:58pm
post #25 of 49

My Agbay!

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #26 of 49

My kitchenAid and satin ice fondant. My first tub of fondant opened up a whole new world for me. The next purchase is a turn table.

What is the best turn table to buy? icon_confused.gif....looking for one now whacha think I should get?

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

My Agbay!

I want one sooooo bad....icon_cry.gif.........this is on my christmas list.....hope Santa is in a good mood icon_wink.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:16pm
post #28 of 49

The internet and my laptop.

It has given me access to this site, videos, recipes, photos, deals, networking, etc.

By far my best investment.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #29 of 49

my Kitchenaid
heavy duty wooden turntable
SPS - seriously...if you stack and transport cakes invest in this, it's not very expensive and worth every penny in PEACE OF MIND!
hologram white fairy dust

icon_smile.gif

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #30 of 49

#1 - my KA
#2 - my KopyKake Airbrush
#3 - Fat Daddio Turntable (xmas gift from my sister).
#4 - last but not least, the anti-fatigue mat my sister got me for my birthday. My feet no longer hate me! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%