What To Use Instead Of Egg Yokes?

Decorating By caduchi Updated 19 Aug 2005 , 7:23pm by JoAnnB

caduchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caduchi Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 9:31am
post #1 of 8

I know we had this topic already, but can't find it no were.

My question is what can i use in a filling recipe i have that calls for egg yokes.

Please help i love this recipe, but don't really know if its safe any more.

Thanks all.

7 replies
llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 11:05am
post #2 of 8

Depending on what it's for, I would just use the recipe as is (I'm probably in the minority here, though). Also, I would not use it if I was selling the cake--but for home--I would.

Of course, I also use eggs that come from a private farm (friends of ours) and they are very fresh and handled differently than your commercially-processed eggs.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Lisa

erinlynn22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinlynn22 Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 8

What kind of recipe is it?

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 8

What's wrong with using egg yolks? I don't understand.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 8

People used to always use frostings which contained raw egg yolks or whites. Pastry chefs still do. The average consumer is supposed to avoid anything with raw eggs due to the risk of salmonella. That's why there are little disclaimers on menus informing you that you eat undercooked food at your own risk.

Why not just let the customer decide?

caduchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caduchi Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 8

this is correct bubblezmom, i have one that calls for egg yolk in the icing, and i have one recipe that calls for whole eggs in this filling.

I let a lady teast it and she loved it, but this i had made for home, and now she wants one like it. When i stold her it contains raw eggs she was like cant u use the same recipe and change it a bit.
As she will be having kids and pregnant ladies at her party.

So now i don't feel like experimenting, with out the eggs.
It won't have the same texture.

Help please i was thinking maybe using meringe powder will that be any good?

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 8

It won't taste the same without the egg yolks. icon_sad.gif You could make a meringue with egg whites. The martha stewart recipe is very easy. The egg white meringue doesn't have the creaminess of the egg yolk meringue.

hth

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 8

health food stores and some grocery stores have pasteurized eggs. They cost more, but it is best to be safe when you are serving an "at risk" group. Even if you have a lot of insurance, it is a big and unnecessary risk.

Using pasteruized eggs will remove the threat of salmonella. Also, if the mixture at some point is heated to 160 or higher, the eggs are now"safe."

JoAnn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%