Wrong Price Quoted For Cupcake Order

Business By GrannyShanny Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 7:37pm by indydebi

GrannyShanny Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 19

A customer went to my website and got a price I have listed for a bakers dozen of cupcakes. She said she needed 9 bakers dozen which is fine but she needed them for her wedding reception. I have a seperate price list for wedding cake servings but haven't published it on my website yet. How do I tell her that those prices are almost 2 1/2 times more for basically the same thing?

18 replies
cricket0616 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 19

If there is additional detail and decorating that goes into the cupcakes, that would be one area to highlight. If she was looking at the section with a swirl on top and wants something more elaborate that would by all means make sense.

peg818 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 19

personally i would give her 9 bakers dozen in boxes for her to pick up. That is what she ordered, she can set up and figure out how to display them.

Mindy1975 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 19

well.........not do be a big dumb moron, like IndyDebi would quote. lol But if you are making the same type of cupcake for a wedding, why would the cost be 2 1/2 times more? I'm not sure I understand. I do have a particular "white wedding cake" flavor, that usually does just get used for weddings. And then I have a "white" flavor that I use when people call for just white cake for birthdays, etc. So my $$ are a little higher for weddings etc. But usually because of the design, structure, etc. I was just curious why the price change if they are the same cupcake.

FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 19

What makes the wedding ones so much more?

GrannyShanny Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 19

Mindy, maybe I'm the big dumb moron! Before I published my website I did a lot of research and comparing on pricing. It just seemed like all the other websites I've seen (including Wilton's serving and price guide) were so different between a regular serving and a wedding serving. A separate flavor or something a little different would be easier to explain to the customer the jump in price.

yelle66 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 19

There is a british comedy sketch that someone posted about this a few months ago. It does have some language though just to warn:

yelle66 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 19

I would suggest just raising the price of your cupcakes in general b/c you are never going to be able to tell them that Wilton says they get a smaller size of cupcake at a wedding. Mostly b/c they won't. It is so much easier for me to charge the same price per serving for weddings as for any occasion. And, it just feels more honest.

GrannyShanny Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 19

yelle66- I just saw the video. Too funny! On the other hand though, this is exactly what I was talking about. Maybe I need to rethink prices

yelle66 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:05pm
post #10 of 19

There is actually a big bakery around here who has a whole separate website for their Wedding cakes. Oddly enough, the owner also wrote the book "Secrets of Wedding Cakes Revealed". *cough* pretty sure that isn't one of the secrets he mentions.

FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 19

Is this a cake you are pricing or cuppies? If it's cake then there's your out, but, in all honesty, cake is cake no matter what it's for. Unless you are doing something more for wedding cakes that you aren't doing for your regular cakes they should really be the same price.

Some offer party cakes un-torted with only BC for filling and will discount that. That is a justification, but just because it's for a wedding isn't a good reason. I price cupcakes and cakes pretty much the same. One cupcake is the same amount of cake by volume as a wedding serving (a smidge more actually). I don't price cakes different by occasion either... it just opens you up to have to explain yourself, and if it makes no sense to you... you will have a really hard time justifying it to customers.

littlecake Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #12 of 19

if they are the same...not more detailed in decoration, then why so much more? price gouging sux in any biz....give em to her at the quoted price.

if you are in this for long term, you are gonna want repeat customers for years to come, and if they find out you're doing this....that'll be your last order from them....and they'll tell all their friends.

i guess i'm sensitive to this having been price gouged by a distributer for months....i quit them and never looked back.

jmt1714 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 19

I agree - if she is ordering your exact cupcakes and simply using them a wedding vs. another event, why would you charge more? pricing should be based on size and complexity of the cake, not by what the intent of the party is.

sweet_creations96818 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #14 of 19

Are you going to be setting them up at the reception? If so, then I would say you are justified in the price increase because she is paying for the cupcakes as well as the work put into the display. If she is picking them up from you, then I would stick with the orginal price quoted on your website. Does that make sense?

TexasSugar Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #15 of 19

I'm gonna agree that if it is the same product then why is it 2.5 times as much?

I'm one that believes that there shouldn't be wedding prices vs party prices. Pick a serving size and use it for both. Now a days party cakes are not just basic flat sheet cakes, more often than not they are layers and stacked and take just as much work if not more than a wedding cake. Plus it just makes it alot easier for you to do pricing.

If you want to price your cupcakes differently, then I wouldn't price it by event but rather decorations.

If the 'regular' cupcakes are designed to be picked up in a cake box where as the 'wedding' cupcakes are delivered and set up on a rented stand then I can see extra cost. Instead of making the cupcake 2.5 times more, tell her there is a delivery and set up fee which includes renting a cupcake stand. Then you need to sit down and decide what you want to charge for that service. Then she can opt to pick them up or have someone pick them up, or pay an extra fee and have one less thing to worry about. icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #16 of 19

I also wanted to add, you may want to add something to your website along the lines of "Cake and cupcake prices start at XX price. Please contact me with the information for your specific cake or cupcakes so that I can give you definite price.

This gives you a little wiggle room if the prices are on your website need updating or they are asking for something to really needs an extra fee tacked on.

GrannyShanny Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:34pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks for all the advice everyone. All your points are well taken. My cakes and cupcakes will be priced by decoration, not by the event (as TexasSugar pointed out). I'm sure glad I asked since my business is fairly new and I hope to be around for a long time!

tootie0809 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #18 of 19

Wow, I have to agree on this. 2-1/2 times more in price just because they are being used at a wedding? I'm glad someone posted the youtube video about the wedding cake, because that is exactly what I thought about when I read this. Unless of course there is something totally different about the wedding cuppies to justify the increase, then I could see that, but wow, if I was a customer I'd be pretty ticked if I knew I was paying 2.5 times as much for the same product just because I was using it at a wedding.

indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:37pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

personally i would give her 9 bakers dozen in boxes for her to pick up. That is what she ordered, she can set up and figure out how to display them.

This is pretty much the bottom line. This is what she ordered .... this is what she's getting.

Doesn't matter to me how or where she sets 'em up.

But a great lesson and example in why I absolutely do not believe in different pricing for different events.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%