Gooey Fondant Figures

Decorating By cakes22 Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm by sweetjan

cakes22 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 10

I made some little reptiles out of fondant & let them dry for about 3 days. The fondant I used is called "Virgin Ice" from Liberty Foods (available in Bulk Barn in Canada). I didn't mix the fondant with gumpaste (would that have been better?). I placed the little guys on my cake (crusting b/c) last night and covered it (using Wilton 3-1 carrier), when I woke up this AM they are glossy & gooey to the touch. It did get warm in my house yesterday, so I am wondering if maybe the humidity caused the problem. They are still holding their shape and are still looking okay (kinda shiney). I've taken the lid off the container so I'm hoping the air will help dry them out again.
Any thoughts or answers as to why this happened?

9 replies
cricket0616 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 10

I had the same issue twice. I think something happens when you place the fondant in the carrier. I assumed it was the warmth and lack of air that caused this. I put a post up to see if anyone else had a similar issue and the reply I received was to place fondant in a box and not a plastic carrier, but I never received a reply on why it happened. Sorry I can't explain why, but I can share that you are not alone. I guess we just need to put them in a box going forward.

bashini Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 10

Hi there, first, I would have used 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. Then I would place them on the cake before the cake been collected. And I never store my cakes in plastic containers. Always in white carboard cake boxes. icon_smile.gif

peg818 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 10

i think it has to do with the moisture from the cake seeping into the fondant with it locked under plastic there is no place for that moisture to go to.

Yep had it happen to me to, had a figure melt entirely. That just made me want to cry.

brincess_b Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 10

it could also be that the fondant wasnt dried all the way through, means it will go soft much faster if its given a chance.

cricket0616 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 10

Should you always mix gum paste and fondant together when making figures to go on cakes? I have always made them out of fondant and let them sit for a couple of days. Note: I am new to working with fondant.

BitsnBites Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 10

when I did my fondant flowers for my wilton course, I mixed Virgin Ice with Gumtex. Then I put them in top in a styrofoam base and then on top of the heater (on low). That dried them out in about an hour.

For the buttercream to crust, it has to release moisture. And when you covered it, the fondant just absorbed that moisture.

Good Luck.

yelle66 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 10

Cricket, it depends on what I am doing for what I will use. If I want something thin and really hard, I will use Gumpaste or gumpaste and fondant 50/50. If I am making a figure that doesn't need to be upright, I may just use fondant, but I add Tylose powder first. It makes it dry really well and it dries fast.

cakes22 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 10

Just checked on them, and the gooey-ness is gone, they are almost dry again. Must have been the container & the warm air.

Thanks CCer's for the advice!

sweetjan Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 10

This is a great thread.....excellent advice that you can't find anywhere else!
Thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%